We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris for 3 days

carol stream, il
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Paris for 3 days

We are going to Paris and France as part of a tour group. But we are arriving one day early and will also have free time on the tour. We will be in Paris for 4 days, the first being free to do as we choose. We will arrive at CDG at 9am and should make our hotel around 11. We want to go to the Eiffel Tower that day. Do we need to buy tickets state side? I have read the lines are very long to buy tickets. Also looking for recommendations for medium price restaurants and advice on going to a flea market.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris for 3 days

If you want guaranteed ticket to go up to the top you're best to buy them in advanced from their official website. They do sell out quickly so if you check for your date and there aren't any available keep checking because they do release more.

This very recent thread has some useful info on going up the tower without have pre-purchased tickets

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k77415…

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris for 3 days

What days of the week will you be in Paris? Flea markets are held on weekends, and only go until about 1, even if their posted hours are until later. They're open on Mondays too, but many of the vendors don't participate or only the junkie stuff is left. The consensus is that it's really not worth it to visit flea markets on Mondays.

There is a flea market of sorts at the Place d'Aligre in the 12th, but I've always thought it was truly junk.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris for 3 days

Is your tour operator going to provide sightseeing activities each of the other days you'll be there?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris for 3 days

When are you coming to Paris? Eiffel Tower online tickets sell off within minutes of releasing 90 days in advance at 8:30 am Parisian time.

carol stream, il
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris for 3 days

Thanks. I have also read you need a local French phone number to complete the transaction. Do you know if that's true?

carol stream, il
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris for 3 days

We're arriving Sunday morning and should arrive in Paris by 11am. Are there markets to go to on Sundays? Somewhere where you can browse for gifts and such. We will also have some free time during our tour - Monday through Wednesday.

carol stream, il
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris for 3 days

Yes. We are going to the Louvre and the Orsay. This is a Rick Steves tour and he also allows for quite a bit of free time. He highly recommends the Eiffel Tower, though it's not included. We would like to browse some cute market areas as well.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris for 3 days

Sundays are kind of limited as far as shopping options. Many stores (including markets) are closed Sundays. A few of the market streets are open on Sunday mornings but start winding down or closing completely by lunch time. As you will be just arriving to your hotel by 11 if all goes like clockwork, you probably shouldn't count on a lot of shopping options.

Exceptions would be the Marais (where the shops are pretty upscale) and Montmartre. If you are staying near either of those areas, then you might explore them for shopping as well as general orientation to your neighborhood.

If you can get advanced tickets and get the Eiffel Tower "covered" on Sunday, that would also be a great option.

You could, however, not really "schedule" too many things, and just choose to walk (always good after a long flight) and explore, discovering things on your own. You could begin near your hotel (where are you staying?), or you could select any picturesque or historic area to explore.

carol stream, il
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris for 3 days

We are staying near Rue Cler. The Champs de Mars looks to be within walking distance. That is why I was thinking the Eiffel Tower would be not too much of a stretch the first day we're there. Maybe walk down the park and grab lunch. I don't understand about the tower tickets. Do you have to buy them for a specific time? I'm not sure if we want to go to the 2nd level or the top. Thanks much for your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris for 3 days

Yes, it's a fine idea for your first day; it's not far at all. The Rodin museum isn't far either, and the good stuff is outdoors there.

Just around the corner from the end of the rue Cler on the rue de la Motte Piquet is Auberge Bressane. Good restaurant, especially their Bouchée a la Reine which is chicken in puff pastry. Some friends liked it so much, they went back a few nights later to have it again.

Enjoy your trip.