We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Just checking the best way to get there.....seems one option is to walk to Bastille and take the metro to Gare du Nord, then the Transilian line H.

Is this quicker than taking the metro all the way? I assume it is a bit pricier since I don't think I can use a metro ticket for the H line? Thanks for any help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

The Transilien line has a stop at St-Denis, but it is about 1.6 km from the Basilica. As you say, an ordinary t+ ticket would not be valid.

I think you would do better to take the Metro, which stops right at the Basilica. I don't think the Transilien would be any faster when you allow for changing from the metro to the mainline station at Gare du Nord, waiting for a Transilien train, and then walking a mile (or taking a tram) to get from the Transilien station to the Basilica,

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Pay extra attention to pickpockets in st Denis

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

You could get the RER D to St Denis - either from Gare de Lyon, or from Chatelet - both 2 stops on Line 1, or a short walk from St Paul. You could then walk, or get a tram T1 to Basilique-de-st-Denis. Time: about 35 minutes, not including tram/walk. cost: 2.65€

or:

You could use Line 1 from St Paul, and go to Champs-Elysees-Clemenceu, then use metro line 13 towards St Denis Universite, and get off at Basilique de st Denis Time: about 35 minutes cost: 1.70€

or:

You could go to Gare du Nord (via lines 1, and 4, or line 1, and 5, or a walk to chatelet/Bastille), use the transilien, and go to St Denis, and get a tram/walk to Basilique de st denis. (about 35 minutes not including tram/walk). Cost: 2.65€

So... really it all depends how often you want to change trains/trams, and how much you want to walk. Obviously the tram is optional, as it isn't too far to walk from St Denis, or to Bastille or Chatelet either...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Simplest would be to use the Metro 1 line to Champs-Elysees Clemenceau, and change to the 13 in the direction of St-Denis - Universite (you would get off at the Basilique station). I would call it closer to 45 minutes from entering the St-Paul station to emerging to the street at Basilique. The change at Clemeceau is easy, because only those two lines intersect there. Be sure to get the train going to St-Denis, because some trains split of and go to another destination. It's easy to see by looking at the signs for the next trains.

-- Steve

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Yakkin's advice is the simplest one to follow. St. Denis Basilica is second last stop on this line.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

The commuter train will not get you there faster and costs more than a metro ticket, but it is an absolutely fascinating walk though Saint Denis, where you would also visit the huge covered market.

Otherwise, just take the metro from Saint Paul to Champs Elysées-Clémenceau on line 1 and change to line 13 there, as Yakkin says.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

And just for you to know, I don't know when you are planning on going but there are some restauration work going on at the moment. It's only on the outside. Just not to be too disappointed. :-)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

Thanks everyone.

9. Re: Saint Paul to Saint Denis Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:17