We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday solo in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
30th birthday solo in Paris

I will be in Paris in October for 10 days, and it is my first time traveling solo. The purpose of the trip is my 30th birthday, which is on a Friday while I'm there.

The majority of my plans for my trip are low-key. I plan on doing museums and walking a lot during the day, and mostly picnics by the Eiffel Tower at night. I'm not a big party person.

On my birthday though, I would like to treat myself to something special and have my one "party" night while I'm there. I would like to do something that has me out in public at night, with a chance to meet people and celebrate my birthday.

After doing some research, I found Paris Bar Crawl. It looks like this is in the Pigalle neighborhood, and it includes 4 bars for a price. I like that it allows me to experience nightlife in a group setting, and I feel like it will give me the opportunity to meet some people. Has anyone done this? Like it or dislike it? Also, I'm aware that this is the red light district. Is that a safe area for me to leave to go back to my hotel at the end of the night solo, or should I stay away from that area? The description online says that the last place is a dancing club. How late do clubs like that stay open in Paris?

If I don't do the Paris Bar Crawl, are there any other recommendations for similar things to do at night in a group setting that would get me to experience nightlife? I'm not really interested in just randomly showing up at a bar because I know I'm not good at meeting new people.

Also, I'm interested in doing a nice dinner that night. The Paris Bar Crawl thing starts at 8:30 PM though. Is that enough time to have a nice dinner, or should I plan my dinner for another night?

Finally, any restaurant recommendations for my birthday? I'm willing to spend up to 100 Euro, and I would like it to be somewhere that has a good view. I tend to be picky with food though, and mostly limit my food to beef and chicken. When looking online at menus, it seems like a lot of the restaurants serve food that I'm wary of trying.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

I don't know about Paris Bar Crawl, but I would try doing a search on the TA Forum for Paris Bar Crawl and also Google Paris Bar Crawl Reviews/Problems/Issues or something to that effect.

It does sound like a good idea to me, although it's not my kind of thing to do, even when travelling solo.

You will be safe, but just make sure that you keep your wits about you and don't take risks.

As for dinner, I would keep that for another night to spoil yourself - most places open at 7:00/7:30 pm, so I don't think you would be able to have a nice dinner and relax and enjoy it before going on the Pub Crawl - you never know if service is going to be slow or not. Take your time and enjoy your Birthday dinner on another night.

You will find plenty places that will serve either beef or chicken.

Happy travels and Happy Birthday when it comes!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

How exciting!!! I haven't done the bar crawl, but agree with fiftrain that it sounds like a good idea for what you're looking for.

Nightclubs in Paris stay open until 5:00. Yes, that area is a little seedy, especially later in the night - but since it's your birthday, you could just take a taxi home?

I also agree with the suggestion to have your birthday dinner another night - so you can relax and not rush!

I'm a picky eater, and I struggle with food in Paris. But the desserts and the wine - mmmm ;-)

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

Thanks for the responses!

Do taxis work that late? I know the metro closes around midnight. I would probably be staying out until around 2AM. Would I be able to find a taxi to take me back to my hotel at that hour?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

Yes you would. Where are you staying? There is also night buses, but i've always struggled figuring them out :-)))

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

You can also call and order one ahead of time. They have an English line if you need it.

taxisg7.com/order-taxi/order-taxi-telephone

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

I am staying in the Passy area in the 16th district.

So, I've read that you have to go to taxi stands to get a taxi. Is that right? Are they fairly well spread out and easy to find in the Pigalle area? I'm just worried about walking around alone that late at night, which is why the rest of the trip I plan to be back at my hotel by 11ish. I just want one night out late, and I want to do it as safely as possible.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

That is why I gave you the telephone number of the taxi G7 English line.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

Angule, you won't be alone - you will be with your tour group. You may even want to split a taxi by the end.

Paris in General is a very safe city, I've walked pretty much everywhere alone and with people after 11:00 pm and I hate taxis so usually either walked home or took public transport.

Relax a bit and have fun. No need to pre-arrange taxis and they won't turn into pumpkins after midnight ;-))))

Metro starts running again around te time that the night clubs close so that's always an option. Too haha

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

I do not have an international plan on my cell phone, and will only be using wireless when available. So unfortunately, I will not be able to call for a taxi. I would book it in advance, but I don't know the address (or even name) for the last place on the bar crawl. If I could figure that out, is booking a taxi a week in advance reliable?

The phone numbers are so different than in the US. Do you just type all the digits into your phone to make it work?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30th birthday solo in Paris

You can book G7 Taxis online, so could do this during the day, before you went out to celebrate.

The important thing would be for you to make sure you meet the taxi as arranged - they will not wait, if you're not there on time. Hand the driver your complete address, including the Postal Code - that way, there will be no room for misunderstanding (lots of places have similar names, but are in different neighborhoods, etc).

The other option would be to ask the bartender to call a taxi for you when you're ready to leave. Taxis work all night, though become scarce when there's not much business.

You don't have to go to a taxi stand - you can hail a taxi on the street, like you would in New York. Look for a green light on top, signifying that it's available. You could possibly hail a taxi in the street at that late (or early) hour, but I wouldn't want to depend on it, and wouldn't advise it.