We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

I am a single 40+ African American female that is traveling to Paris in Sept. for about 4 days if I don't split my time with another city. Can anyone give me suggestions on the following:

1. I want to know where is the best place to stay that is centrally located to most of the attractions that is priced between $100 -150 USD a night.

2. I love interior design. What are some of the best design spots, markets, etc. to attend?

3. What are must see things besides the Louvre and Eiffel Tower? What is the typical cost of getting in these attractions?

4. I have heard that the French are rude to Americans. Is there anything I should know regarding this?

5. Any suggestions on free things to do?

6. Any recommendations on food to try and/or restaurants?

7. Best places to shop?

8. Anything else is a must to do while there?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,184 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
628 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

With only 4 days I certainly wouldn't split this up with another city. You'll barely touch the surface of Paris in that amount time.

A guidebook will help you decide where to stay and what to see.

And you can use xe.com to convert your $ into Euros. Your budget of 75-110 euros will put you in a budget hotel in Paris.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

<<4. I have heard that the French are rude to Americans. Is there anything I should know regarding this?>>

No, nothing, because it isn't true as long as you are not rude to them.

You need a good guidebook to help you sort out what to do and see while there.

Don't visit another city. You barely have time for Paris. And do start thinking in euros, not dollars, or you will be confused the entire time you are there.

Good luck with the planning.

3. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 09:13
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

Most of your questions will find easy answers either through the search engine here or guidebooks, but regarding question 2, you may want to head to Marché Saint Pierre near Montmartre for huge choice of fabrics (http://www.marchesaintpierre.com/), and to Puces de Saint Ouen (if you are there on a week-end) for all kind of antiques / garage sales items which can make neat decoration items. There are also scores of more usual stores: Muji, Conran Shop, Delorme...

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,485 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

You would probably like the Musee des Arts Decoratifs ---> http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/

This September?

Edited: 27 August 2014, 22:09
Level Contributor
9 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

I've just returned from four days in Paris with friends, and I didn't do half of the things I wanted to, so I wouldn't suggest splitting your visit here with somewhere else.

The Louvre costs €12 - be prepared to queue and know that you may need more than a day to see what you want to see; check the website and plan your visit if possible.

The Eiffel Tower costs €9 to the second floor (be aware that all but one of the piers has a lift - you may end up having to climb 300+ steps if you queue and purchase a ticket at the wrong pier!), and a further €6 to get the lift to the top - if it's not closed due to the weather. There are restaurants and a buffet place at the Tower, but they're really overpriced, so I'd suggest eating elsewhere.

Visits to the Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame are free, with small donations for lighting candles.

A lot of Parisian landmarks are free to visit and/or look at (Jardins du Tuileries, Pyramid at The Louvre, Place du Tertre) where others you can look at for free, but pay an entrance fee to actually visit (Arc de Triomphe, The Louvre, Eiffel Tower).

If you like to shop then there are some really nice boutiques running alongside the Jardins du Tuileries, and there's always the Champs Élysées with its mix of luxury and high street.

The Latin Quarter is great for places to eat, as is the Belleville neighbourhood if you're into Chinese/Vietnamese food (I recommend Tin Tin).

Speaking of Belleville, there is a really nice Park here that offers amazing views of the City.

In terms of accommodation see what's on offer by way of holiday rentals here on Trip Advisor; I rented an apartment for four days at at very good price. A do it's something I'd do again.

Travel wise, invest in a Paris Visite for 1, 2, 3 or 5 days. This allows you unlimited travel on the Paris Metro and Bus system, and offers discount at some attractions. I took advantage of a pre-booked Taxi to and from the Airport to my accommodation using wecab.com. They offer a personal or shared Taxi service at excellent prices (I paid €74 for a return trip for three people with an item of luggage each), and they keep you informed as to when your Taxi will arrive and what type/colour the vehicle is.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions or contact me for anything else you'd like to know about my recent trip.

A wishing you a safe journey and a fantastic time in Paris!

Level Contributor
17,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

Carnavalet Museum is free. So is Notre Dame (if you don't climb the towers). So are many of the other churches in Paris. Sainte Chapelle costs money. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
16,172 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

In order to start on the right foot when looking for any service it is always a requirement to start by saying Bonjour Madame or Bonjour Messieurs then Vous parler anglais? otherwise you will be considered as the rude American and service will tend to (but not always) be rude in exchange.

see forvo to learn about pronunciations or even google. http://www.forvo.com/search/bonjour%20madame/

a site like Trivago will help you sort out hotels by price and arrondissement (you need to learn about arrondissements) in the postal code the last 2 numbers are the arrondissement. 75006 is the 6th etc..

use google maps to find locations of hotels https://goo.gl/maps/BA5Zg and walking distances.

there are lots of blogs to find out about what is happening like this one girlsguidetoparis.com/#sthash.7QSLroxh.dpbs and pret-a-voyager.com/2012/…

Learning about the metro is also a good idea so as long as a hotel is close to a metro you can get anywhere in central Paris easily. this is an interactive map www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

ET you will see from lots of places when you walk around so unless you have a keen interest in get to the top no need to be on the list. The Louvre can be done with a whirlwind tour of the 5 hot spots or you decide what you really want to see before going and then choose a wing to visit on Wed and Fri as it is open late. there is a good plan of the building online. http://www.louvre.fr/en

this is a video to give you an idea before you go so you are not so overwhelmed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmT-djHyo3E Often the building is more interesting than the collection.

the City of Paris has some museums with free access such as the Carnavalet in the Marais.(which is a neighbourhood that straddles a few arrondissements).

Fodor guide books etc.... have some good walking suggestions to get you started.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

<<Travel wise, invest in a Paris Visite for 1, 2, 3 or 5 days.>>

I absolutely would NOT invest a sou in the Paris Visite Pass for your trip!! It is a tourist rip-off that takes a bunch of tickets you can buy at much lower prices, packages them, and puts a large markup on them. You do not need this. And in fact, you'd never even be interested in 30% of the silly offerings on it.

A Paris Museum Pass might be a good investment depending on how many museums you want to visit - but you'll have to do the math. To get around the city on the métro and buses, just buy a carnet of 10 individual t+ tickets and replenish them as you need to, if you do.

The Centre Pompidou often has really fascinating interior design exhibits. The Père Lachaise Cemetery, resting place of innumerable famous Parisians (and others) is free and not far from the Parc de Belleville. There's a great market in Belleville on Thursdays (one on the same day in Ménilmontant too).

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Single African American Female Traveling to Paris

Two times in a row that US tourists say that the frenchs are rude.

If you really believe that stay home. And if you so prejudiced of course we ll be rude -I am Belgian but behave like a French.

The more I read this kind of comment the more difficult I ll have to raise my kids as I was raised : US are heroes who fought and lost their lives to liberate us. And are nice people.

But do you find it polite to come like a wrecking ball stating that 60 millions of people are rude ?

Tssss I had to refill my glass with expensive Lagavullin 16 years to finish this post.