We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

My wife and I arrive in Paris from the US on Sunday, Sept. 14 around 9:30AM. We're taking a taxi from CDG to our hotel in St. Germain des Pres. I figured we'd drop our bags at the hotel (before check-in time) and wander arournd St. Germain, making our way to the Isle de la Cite to see Sainte-Chapelle & the Notre Dame.

Question #1: Do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance?

Question #2: Will the lines for security / entrance be very long at that time of day / season?

Thanks much for any advice you can impart!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

Notre Dame is free to enter, unless you want to climb the towers.

Sainte Chapelle usually has security line that can't be skipped even with Museum Pass; ticket line is short or not at all.

Research Paris Museum Pass (easily bought in Paris, no need to pre-purchase) as it might be something of great interest if you plan to visit some museums or monuments.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

hi

I would not buy a museum pass for attractions on the first day. The first place you visit starts the clock on the pass so best to have 2-3 places in a day if you want to get the benefit of the pass.

I would look at using the metro to get back; so as to use the energy for touring rather then just trying to get back. For the Sunday single tickets work fine; then have a look at Navigo Decouverte passes for the week; the convenience is worth a few euros if you are not there all week and you use the system more if you have one.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

Thanks, Tesa. We're only going to be in Paris from Sunday afternoon until Tuesday morning, flying out of Orly at 10AM. So, we aren't going to be seeing a lot of museums. We're thinking maybe, at most, Musee d'Orsay for impressionist paintings and maybe the Rodin museum on Monday, after going to the Eiffel Tower early and, depending on the lines, going up. Then, perhaps a late afternoon trip to Monte Matre, but not to go inside the Sacre Coeur (been there done that). We're mostly interested in wandering streets around St. Germain and the Qatier Latin, visiting bistros and soaking up the charm of that area.

I'm assuming it would be advantageous to purchase tickets in advance for the Musee d' Orsay. Not sure about Rodin.

Anyway, that's only 4 museums/sights max. I haven't checked but I doubt a museum pass would save us any euros.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

d'Orsay Museum is closed on Mondays, But I recommend small l'Orangerie for Monet's water lilies and some of Impressionists.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 22:07
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

Well, darn.... I guess I'm going to have to re-jigger the itinerary. Will post an itinerary and seek comment from all you pros! :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

I still recommend Orangerie - its jaw dropping amazing.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

Just a suggestion if you're doing St Chappelle and Notre Dame in the same first day. Under the open space just in front of Notre Dame there's a relatively unknown, but quite fascinating relic of the early days of Paris. The Crypte Archiologique is a partly excavated portion of the ancient Roman city, with roads, houses etc all easily viewed via several wide walkways. Its all underground, so not really apparent from above.

More info on the site here: http://www.crypte.paris.fr/en/crypt. TA reviews here: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d1…

It's covered by the museum pass, but relatively inxepensive anyway if you don't have one, and definitely worth spending an hour or so.

8. Re: Sainte-Chapelle & Notre Dame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16