We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

I have read many posts extensively and in my opinion, have done my research. Most answers I am finding to my questions, were not posted very recently.

I have 2 debit cards I am bringing to Paris for the sake of withdrawing money from the ATM machines.

I have a MasterCard with a strip...not a chip. I do not intend to use this in machines, rather possibly at restaurants or stores. Does the card need to be chipped in order to use it at one place or the other? Please let me know. I do have time to order a chipped card. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

No, I use both my debit card and credit card in stores, restaurants and ATMs in Paris with no problem.

Edited: 03 September 2014, 01:00
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

No, you don't need a chipped card. And there are hundreds of very recent posts here on TA about exactly this matter - perhaps you aren't using the search function properly. It's discussed at length almost every day.

At any rate, you needn't worry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

You will have no problems in stores or restaurants. The one place you may have an issue is if you try purchasing metro tickets through a machine so make sure you have cash for that just in case.

Just a tip about the search function (in case you aren't aware), make sure you change the drop down from "relevance" to "date" so that you see the most recent posts.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

You just won't be able to use your MC in tickets machines, but it will be accepted at any staffed point of sale.

Inform your bank and cc issuer that you will travel.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

Thanks everyone for the information. I will try to do better with my searches.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

Don't bother with a chip card as most are chip and signature and not chip/PIN and most have annual fees, foreign conversion fees, etc.

Do you have a Capital One credit card? Debit card?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

As someone who has had his magnetic strip credit card flatly refused by both restaurants and at least one hotel, I consider it essential to have a chip and pin credit card. While most all US EMV (chip and pin) cards issued in the USA default to chip and signature, at least you will be able to use them everywhere. I now carry only pin and chip cards for purchases. ATMs continue to accept magnetic strip cards.

There are a large number of US banks/credit unions issuing no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, pin and chip credit cards. Andrews FCU, PenFed, and HSBC are a few.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

I checked with Citibank and they will issue me a no annual fee chip and signature card so I am getting one to replace my old card. Yippee.

9. Re: 2014 Information needed on Credit Cards in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:16