We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

Melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

Hi,

Thought this may be helpful for anyone considering sim cards/ phones and travelling without.

Returned from 5 weeks in Europe, including one week in Paris and spent many hours researching sim cards, asking advice on TA and needlessly worrying. In the end I decided not to purchase a sim card but took my phone (Android) for the reassurance of having all my contact phone numbers with me. I used the phone as well as my camera to take photos and found that was an added bonus. Would absolutely do this again.

I also took an Ipad Mini which was great. I didn't take it out of our accommodation and used it with the free WiFi which was available in all the places we stayed. It was great for keeping in contact with home via email and also to book things online. I also used it to take photos inside and from our accommodation.

I saw heaps of people out and about with IPads,using them as cameras but I think that even the compact size of the mini is too cumbersome to be carrying around on a daily basis.

When travelling between places, I had the Mini in my handbag and locked it in the room safe during the day.

Some people on TA queried what I would do if my partner and I were seperated whilst out and were unable to contact each other. We simply always made an arrangement of where we would meet if we got seperated!

There were a few times when we needed to use a phone and we always found staff at the accommodation were more that willing to make the call for us. Our apartment in Paris had a phone which we could use (we used it twice).

I will do the same thing again on our next trip; the only drama is that I now have 3 devices with photos on them!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

"We simply always made an arrangement of where we would meet if we got seperated"

That's the way it was in pre-mobile days. Mobiles are useful for a number of reasons but aren't required when traveling.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

I remember when the only electronics I took with me on trips were a film camera and a travel alarm clock. Now I travel with a digital camera, cellphone, Kindle, GPS, plus laptop or tablet, and the chargers alone weigh down my luggage! Has this in any way enhanced my travel experience? Not in the least, though it has added a level of convenience.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,115 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

IMO the IPAD is the best travel gadget ever. I take my mini whenever I travel but never take it out of the hotel. It's nice to be able to check up on email or the weather forecast or even to make a reservations, but the ease with which it allows me to loads photos is worth taking it alone.

Pjk

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

Happydaytripper,

I hate when I have to travel with my laptop! When I travel for pleasure, I carry my iPhone and iPad. The iPad is used once back at the hotel via wifi. It works as a television in case there's only one English channel to watch. I put an international plan on my phone ($25/100 mbs or something), which I carry around with me. It's my map, camera, translator, currency converter etc. Makes travel so easy....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

I have always taken my iPhone left it on Airplane Mode and used Skype to make calls. This was before I was a mother, so this trip I'm adding 50 texts for $10 and 30 phone minutes for $30 just in case I absolutely need it. Otherwise, I will continue to use Skype to make calls and I have WhatsApp for text: both can be used with only WiFi.

My iPad is a must when traveling - I have some great old school games like Connect Four, Centipede and Simon Says that help me pass time. And I download a couple of movies and TV shows: this trip downloading the entire season for Fargo and the last 4 episodes of House of Cards since I won't finish before I leave on Friday.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

FaceTime is a better option than Skype, but only if there are Apple gadgets at each end.

Twenty years ago, everyone got by without a mobile phone, so they are hardly necessary, just convenient. And if you are really enjoying and profiting from the trip, they won't even be that convenient, since you're hardly likely to even use them. If you spend hours on your mobile gadget each day, it's a waste of money to do so anywhere but home.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

I use Skpye to make phone calls.

Savannah area, GA
Level Contributor
60 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

I have had great luck with Viber as well, using it both for making calls and texting over wifi. Viber must be loaded by both caller and receiver.

9. Re: Travelling without a Phone......sort of!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 06:16