We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A metro question

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A metro question

I have already been to the metro web site for directions but I must be doing something wrong. We are coming in to Gare du Nord on the Eurostar and want to get to our hotel at Place de Clichy. Is there a walk-through from the station to La Chappelle metro station, which would let us just catch Line 2 straight to our hotel. Is this doable with rolling luggage, one case each? Which would be the quickest and easiest route? Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,138 Reviews
Paris, France
Clichy
Clichy
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,814 hotels in Paris
Le 10 Bis Hotel
Le 10 Bis Hotel
#7 of 1,814 hotels in Paris
Florida
Level Contributor
17,364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A metro question

That would be one looonnng schlep..!

You could walk out the front (rue Dunkerque) and take Bus #54 to Place de Clichy.

Otherwise, you'll have to take Metro Line 4 to Barbes-Rochechouart, then change to Line 2 to Place de Clichy.

Or take a taxi...

Mentioned in this post
Dunkerque
Dunkerque
125 Reviews
Paris, France
Clichy
Clichy
Hauts-de-Seine, France
nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A metro question

it has been our experience that when a Eurostar arrives the taxi ranks are vastly overstretched -- one can usually be at one's hotel via metro long before getting a cab

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A metro question

Hi

I would just like to say that some of the metro stations in Paris can be huge and there are normally lots of stairs but no elevators or escalators in sight :-) So when my wife and I went to Paris in April we both have pretty heavy suitcases and you can take a wild guess who got to carry both suitcases when my wife found out that she was not strong enough to carry hers up stairs :-) I have made a trip report that can be useful for you if you are a first time visitor to Paris. Get in touch on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. Have a great trip to Paris.

regards

Gard

Stavanger, Norway

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Gard
Gard
Occitanie, France
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A metro question

mimiccr: Let me first throw in the disclaimer that I haven't walked it personally, so I don't have true first hand knowledge, but I believe that the answer to your question is a definite YES, there is a walk-way that connects the La Chapelle station with Gare du Nord. The Metro map shows the standard tunnel connection, but more convincing for me is the individual line information (Plan de Ligne) available on the RATP site which shows La Chapelle as an entry and connecting point to the RER, Gare du Nord, etc. As others have said though, it will be a long walk, and while rolling luggage will help through the tunnels, you may still face numerous steps where you'll have to carry your bags.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,138 Reviews
Paris, France
Florida
Level Contributor
17,364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A metro question

The bus is sounding better and better,isn't it...?

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A metro question

Yes there is a tunnel connection on foot, but it's a steady 5 minutes walk. Plus La Chappelle is an above-the-street station and there are four flights of stairs to get up to the platforms. If your bags aren't too heavy (or you don't mind carrying 40lb up the steps) then this is definitely the quickest public transport route.

Of course if you're returning from hotel to Gard du Nord then it's the same thing, but it's a bit easier going down the steps.

Mentioned in this post
Gard
Gard
Occitanie, France
Cafe du Nord
Cafe du Nord
360 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A metro question

I'd suggest Magenta-Haussman Saint Lazare on RER E followed by Saint-Lazare--Place de Clichy on line 13. The only stairs you'll encounter are at Place de Clichy exit.

Mentioned in this post
Lazare
Lazare
1,389 Reviews
Paris, France
Clichy
Clichy
Hauts-de-Seine, France
8. Re: A metro question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:17