We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Hello, I know I should not drive a car in Paris( I have already got lots of replies about it) Now, my boyfriend insists that he would like to rent a scooter and drive around together. Is it possible to rent a sccoter in Paris?. If so, how much is it? and is it easy to drive around by scooters?How about parking for a scooter?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,777 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

A death wish , ?? LOL.

Lila , why not appease your boyfriend by telling him you can look into rental of a scooter once in Paris, then, once in Paris perhaps after a day or two he would see what a pain it would be. There still are all those one way streets, maniac drivers and parking problems with a scooter as with a car, but, gas would be cheaper!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Wow Joan1, not only excellent advice but strategy as well.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Has your boyfriend not read the replies to your previous question?

Does he(or you) own and drive around on a scooter in Toronto where you are accustomed to the traffic? I think it is a worse idea than renting a car as, in addition to all the problems driving a car would present, the consequences of any accident are likely to be much more serious if you are on a scooter. Plus if you are unused to riding a scooter Paris is obviously not the best place to learn.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Sarastro - Yes Joan put it really well. I'm not quite so subtle I'm afraid.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

>> but, gas would be cheaper! <<

Mix is more expensive than gasoline ...

Lila, no, you won't want to rent a scooter in Paris. Rent a bike if you wish - Paris on a bike is not dangerous, I've practiced it for many years, and I enjoy very much the Place de la Concorde on my bike, although I bet it would scare the death out of you- but you will find upon lading that driving in France has nothing to do with driving in Northern America.

Besides, I doubt that you will find a suitable a rental company for your needs.

6. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 November 2015, 17:34
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

I think that un permis de conduire réglementaire might be the same as the UK's CBT

I think it's a condition of hire, rather than a licencing issue.

Lila - google it.scooter hire Paris will get you just under a million results

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Riding as a passenger in a taxi is scary enough. I would NEVER EVER put myself behind the steering wheel of a car or worse: on a scooter in Paris.

I think it is one of those things you have to have been doing all your life as an in-born Parisian in order to survive it unscathed - both mentally and physically.

What kind of a trip would it be for you to sit behind your (I assume) Paris-inexperienced boyfriend - being sick with fright.

100:1 you will be at each other's throats after 2 days - mutually blaming each other for reckless driving / being hysterical.....

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Lila --

Do not allow him to ruin your vacation.

I agree with other posters - I would never ride on scooter either - Your boy friend sounds like one of those guys who will take his beginner girl-friend on a double black ski run just to prove how good he is --

I can't imagine anything more terrifying than going through Parisian traffic without having any control over the vehicle and with no more protection than a helmet.

Let him get the scooter, then you take a taxi - and be waiting for him at your destination after he has finally found a place to park - and I'm assuming here that he isn't going to end up in an accident in the first 20 minutes on the thing - that's a pretty big assumption.

Hold your ground - it's your holiday too.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Instead of trying to rent some form of vehicle, why don't you spend that money on a driver and car for a set number of hours or a day or two. We had friends that just returned and they had a car/driver for 3 hours a day for the 3 days they were there. They did their shopping, sight seeing etc without the hassle of parking/driving and so on. And you get to set the itinerary.