We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suit and Tie needed???????????

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suit and Tie needed???????????

Hey,

My partner and I are going to a tour which involves eiffel tour dinner, seine cruise and moulin rouge show and my ticket says that men are required to wear a tie and jacket. The problem is my partner is currently overseas for work and is meeting me in paris and wouldn't of packed that sort of wear. Is this going to be a problem if he doesn't dress up that much????? Thanks heaps

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
668 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

No. We've just been and my husband and 2 sons wore long-sleeved collared shirts untucked, and no ties. They looked smart and I think that's all that is required. I'd say the dress code is just to stop the scruffy stuff. However, depending on the time of year, you may need a jacket on the Seine.

The Moulin Rouge was way beyond our expectations, one of our highlights! Enjoy!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

Thanks heaps for that. I thought as long as he dresses with a nice long sleeved shirt it would be fine. Hav heard really good things about the tour I can't wait. Do you hav any tips for me? I leave in 3 weeks and am struggling with wat to pack

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
668 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

We went in July and took too many warm things again. I like to take soap because the hotel soap bars are so small, and my own shampoo and conditioner. Comfy shoes that you can wear with good thick socks are good. We walked in ours everyday for a couple of months before we left, just to be sure.

Make sure your PINs are numbers, not letters, as not all ATMs have letters. Some banks in Aust. charge alot more than others.

Change of undies in hand luggage, just in case of lost luggage. Clean undies make you feel so much better.

We had lunch at Cafe Marly, outside Pyramid exit to the Louvre. Great place for people watching and you're are looking at the Louvre too.

Stroll in the beautiful Jardin du Luxembourg Gardens.

You don't say how long you are in Paris but a daytrip tp Monet's Garden is fabulous if you have the time. Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle (next door to Notre Dame) are sensational. Amazing stain glass.

I wish it was me going again. My biggest tip : Don't rush it. Try to slow it all down. Don't say that's too expensive, you may never get another chance, and you don't want to come home and say I wish we had done that. We had a fabulous lunch on the Champs Elysee. Why not? How often do you have that experience? Don't worry about converting Euros into dollars all the time. There is no point in going if you are not going to spend anything. Do audio tours if you haven't got a guide else you miss SO much.

Soak it all up, Paris is an amazing experience!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

ATMs in Paris take four digit NUMERICAL pins, and only draw from your chequeing account. Make sure to transfer all your money into chequeing before you go.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

If the "ticket" says that men are required to wear a jacket and tie, then that's what should be worn. Those are the "rules", if you will, and by attending the dinner etc, you have agreed to play by the "rules". What you wear has an affect not only on your experience but on the experience of your fellow diners as well.

By Eiffel Tower dinner, I'm assuming you mean the Jules Verne restaurant. We had LUNCH there in May and most of the diners were dressed appropriately. There were several men without jackets, however, and they stood out. Diner will be even more formal. I wouldn't dream of showing up with a long sleaved shirt, "untucked and looking smart"

Regardless of one's opinion of the food, this is a first rate restaurant. Dinner can run a few hundred euros with wine and is really a special occasion for most people. If a suit is inconvenient, at least pack a sports coat. Do your fellow diners a favor and dress appropriately. You may save yourself some embarrasment.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

I tend to agree with Crash. I am sure you would be served but I think it would diminish the experience. Besides, there will likely be another venue where a jacket would be more appropriate, if only to keep warm. Maybe you could bring one to him. I would not suggest buying one there-too expensive.

7. Re: Suit and Tie needed???????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 22:17