We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

Leaving soon for first trip to Paris and Rome! Hoping someone here can help with any information to help me make a connecting flight at CDG. I will be flying into CDG from Chicago and then have 2 hour layover to get to plane going to Rome. If it is like here in the US, I will arrive on a large jet but need to get to some terminal with smaller planes to go to Rome. If any one has some transfer tips or information I would appreciate it.... have never been in CDG so will be clueless. I am flying Air France into CDG and then AF also to Rome and am thinking that will help.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

Air France will give you a leaflet when you check in at Chicago showing you what to do.

USA
Level Contributor
27,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

If you will be arriving and departing on an Air France (or a Delta code-share?) your inbound flight will most likely arrive at CDG Terminal # 2-E or perhaps # 2-F ...and your outbound flight (either AF or an Alitalia code-share?) will depart from CDG #2-B.....BUT...Check with Air France DIRECTLY to confirm).

In any case, your luggage should be checked directly through from one flight to the other. There will be free shuttle buses that will take you from one CDG #2 terminal to the others.---

"...You are landing at Paris-CDG2---

When you leave the plane, follow the signs marked "CORRESPONDENCE TRANSFER" until you reach the Transfer desk where you can check which terminal your flight leaves from.

Your connection leaves from Paris-CDG2---

Check which Terminal you are leaving from at the Transfer desk:

- For an international flight, flights leave from Terminals 2A, 2B, 2C, 2E or 2F:

- Take the Air France (air side) shuttle located near the Transfer desk.

- For a flight within France or the Schengen Area, flights leave from Terminals 2D or 2F:

- Go through Customs and Immigration and into the public area,

- Follow the "Correspondance Transfer" signs.

If in doubt...ask a flight attendant or gate agent to point you in the right direction.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

Thanks for the very helpful information. Leaving in one week and getting very excited. I have been browsing this forum for almost 2 months now and have learned so much..... Will be back in Paris for last 4 days of trip and will report back with trip highlights.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

4fab. 2 hours should be enough time. Anything less, I would not recommend. And that's from personal experience.

Don't let anyone fool you. CDG is huge and a mess. They have had major construction going on for 3 years. I have been through CDG several times the last 3 years and it's hectic. I went from Detroit to Paris and unto Rome. We missed both connecting flights there and back. We had only 1 hour between connections and according to all the info from Air France we were told no problem. But is was. You have to go through customs and it's very unorganized (i'm sure i'll hear it for this one) and you must take a bus from one terminal to the other and haul a** to get to the next gate. Never made it either time.

Air France's flight crew are great. Not overly friendly, but the service is good and the food was suprisingly good too. The Planes were very clean and had screens to watch movies, play music or video games. They also provide you with a mask, earplugs for the overnight flight. I highly recommend Air France. But not CDG. I'm sure you'll be fine with 2 hour layovers.

Enjoy Rome, sorry no words to tell you how great it is. You'll see yourself.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

hmmm... I was informed by AF that I will not have to go thru customs in CDG as I am booked straight thru to Rome. Hope I wasn't misinformed. Any other thoughts?

USA
Level Contributor
27,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

No...You weren't misinformed. Since your luggage will be checked directly trough from your inbound to your outbound flight at CDG, you won't clear Customs until you get to Rome...where (hopefully) you and your luggage will be reunited.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

KDK is right. Your luggage will go on through, but You have to go through customs. That's where it get's sticky. I know there was mass confusion when we went through customs to go onto Rome. And They wouldn't stamp my passport, those dogs. I had to go stand in another line to get it stamped, but there was no way I thought I had time to do that and get to the gate. After all I had plenty of time. Never made the connection and sat around 3 hours waiting for a flight to Rome. Aitalia is the airline they put us on. It all worked out though. They have flights leaving for Rome all the time at CDG. AF knew we were not going to make the flight. I was really worried about our luggage at this point, but it was there at FCO when we arrived. A travel agent that comes into my Restaurant told me that AF, NWA and Aitalia all are owned by one company and they shift and shuffle people around to fill planes and keep from offering extra's to accomadate stand bys. I tend to believe that now after the experiences I've had. The night we were leaving on AF to go straight to Paris, they were offering 300.00 cash, Hotel voucher and food vouchers to be bumped to the next day. Very tempting. But I didn't want to wait another moment to get to Rome.

BA is a great airline. I had the chance to use them on my first trip to Paris. The nice Lady at the Counter in Detroit let Me up grade to First class for 250.00 Dollars. It was the best money I spent. First class rocked, and now there's no other way to fly. But I can't afford that. But I always try to upgrade when ever I possibly can, even if I have to pay alittle extra.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

I have met so many people at Fumicino who have travelled from the US into Rome via Paris, and nobody has had any bother. Don't fret about it. And your brother will be there to meet you.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

>>> Your luggage will go on through, but You have to go through customs. <<<

You are confusing immigration and customs. Immigration checks (and sometimes stamps...) your passport. Customs checks (or usually doesn't...) your luggage.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help wtih making a connecting flight in CDG

Loreta-

".....and your brother will be there to meet you."

<SMILE>

Thanks and thanks all. Happy trails!