We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes at CDG

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Changing planes at CDG

My frequent flyer program (Northwest Airlines) has placed me on Air France for a round-trip from Washington-Dulles to London-Heathrow in late November. I have students who use Air France regularly for travel from their homes and who tell me that Paris is, in many ways, the most difficult airport in Europe for changing planes.

Does anyone have insight into known problems changing planes at CDG? Has anyone ever experienced difficulty changing from a from an IAD-CDG flight to a CDG-LHR flight (Air France to Air France) in Paris? Has anyone had any recent experiences or problems changing planes at CDG that they can share?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$329.60*
USA
Level Contributor
28,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing planes at CDG

The Washington-Dulles(IAD) segment of your all-Air France flight itinerary will arrive at CDG Terminal building #2-E. The PARIS-CDG-to-LONDON-LHR segment will depart from CDG Terminal building #2-E. You luggage should be checked-through directly from one AF flight to another. There will be a free shuttle bus(navette) that will transfer you from #2-F across to CDG #2-E. A flight attendant or gate agent can point you in the right direction to the TRANSFER DESK. The transfer takes a few minutes and the process is scarcely '..rocket surgery..'. Print out the Transfer instructions and terminal building diagrams and then ***remember to carry them with you*** to use as aide memoire upon arrival at CDG.

CDG TERMINAL TRANSFER--

aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/…

CDG TERMINAL DIAGRAMS--

aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/…

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing planes at CDG

KDK,

Thank you. Your posting is great.

For a fast minute there, I remembered something about "Terminal 2-E" from CNN. Wasn't that the one which had the structural steel collapse? Glad to hear it's back in service.

This will be my first experience with Air France Tempo-class service, and it will also be my first time actually using LHR's Terminal 2, in addition to being my first time coming through CDG.

I hope not to lose my suitcase as another forum member reports. :-)

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing planes at CDG

Yes it collapsed, and the portion that collapsed is not back in service. The terminal has two seperate structures , one to check in, and one for the gates. It was a small section of the gate building that collapsed. That portion of the building is currently being dismantled and will be rebuild by 2008.

KDK made some typos in their post about your flights. I suspect you arrive in 2E and leave from 2F. Arrival in 2E means no jetway so you will be bused to the terminal.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing planes at CDG

Even so, it's got to be better than a colleague got into.

He was flying into the airport at London's Canary Wharf (City airport?) which only receives service from certain airlines -- one of them being Air France regional. He had to be bussed from Charles DeGaulle to Orly where the connecting plane departed. And the connecting RJ went to London by way of Dublin.

That's nice if you (1) like to sightsee and (2) have all day to make connections.

So, even if I miss my connections, being in Paris is *not* a hardship. :-)

USA
Level Contributor
28,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing planes at CDG

Typos are not uncommon....but in this instance---at least according to AIR FRANCE---their flights FROM Washington-Dulles(IAD)--TO--PARIS(CDG ) arrive at CDG #2-E.....and flights departing FROM PARIS(CDG)--TO--LONDON(LHR) depart from CDG #2-F.

But since neither of us will be the least bit inconvenienced or aggravated if we get it wrong...you should ALWAYS double check with your airline DIRECTLY......Better safe than, "..(expletive deleted)....Damn those boobs on Trip Advisor !!!.".

USA
Level Contributor
28,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing planes at CDG

>>>it's got to be better than a colleague got into<<<

No questioon about it...there are more than a fair share of travel '..horror stories..' about CDG (as there are about most major international airports)....BUT....the vast, overwhelming majority of those passing through CDG manage to do so with less difficulty that renewing their driver's licenses at the DMV...or dealing with any package that has '..some assembly required..' printed on it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing planes at CDG

And you get a bonus: both 2E and 2F are gorgeous!

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing planes at CDG

KDK, you did make a typo lol. Read your original post again. You talk about arriving in 2E and then departing from 2E. Then you talk about taking the shuttle from 2F to 2E rather than 2E to 2F.

I do second what aude said, both terminals are lovely.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing planes at CDG

2E to 2F is relatively easy as the security to get to the euro flights is more equivalent ot typical security in USA. My experience 2B to 2E was a horror story as besides the long walk, security took about 45 minutes (I don't know if that is normal).

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing planes at CDG

dwkestner

Do you mean typical security in the US now, or typical security in the US back in the days when they would only prevent you taking the anti tank gun on board if the safety was off?