We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm's at cdg

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
atm's at cdg

Could anyone tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to access an atm at the airport? We are trying to decide whether to buy some euros here and pay the bank and shipping fees, or to get enough euros at cdg to pay the transport driver.

Thanks for any help.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm's at cdg

Hey Mom,

It used to be a that the ATM's at CDG didn't work or that they were flat out of $$$$. The last year or so has seen a great improvement.

In my opinion, it's not worth paying those ridiculous fees to grab hold of a few euro in the U.S. when you probably won't have a problem @ CDG.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm's at cdg

Buy $100 or so in Euro at your own airport while waiting to board... you'll have a small amount in hand for a reasonable cost and won't have to wait in lines or hunt atm down after your long, tiring flight. Once you get settled in, you can fund yourself from the atm for the remainder of the trip.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm's at cdg

What are ATMs called in French, anyway? (not "Ah-tay-ems," right?!)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm's at cdg

It's not at all difficult. I almost always leave CDG either by RER or TGV. It's become part of the process to stop at the ATM on the right at the top of the escalator leading down to the station concourse. (Actually there are at least two there.) That way, no matter what terminal I arrive at I don't have to go looking for an ATM. Oddly enough there never seem to be any lines at this locatiion.

If having a few Euros in your wallet will make you less nervous, by all mean do as travelnutty suggests, or call your local AAA travel agency and get one of their "Trip Packs" (I think that is what they are called). You should get something like 65€-70€ for your $100 which is indeed a lousy rate of exchange but in the context of the overall cost of your trip it is really no big deal...

An ATM is "un distributeur automatique" — which always sounds to me like something that belongs on a car...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm's at cdg

You have to pay bank and shipping fees to get euros in the States!?

Here you just go into a bank, (obviously a main branch downtown) and buy them for only slightly higher then sell price.

I live in a small city in Canada, and I can't imagine it being harder in the STates then it is here. Are you in a rural area perhaps?

Anyways, personally I would not be caught dead arriving with nothing but plastic, you are putting all your eggs into one basket ( the CDG atm) which could be broken, or empty, or just too hard to find after a long tiring flight.

Get at least 50-100 euros so you don't have to worryor rush about to get money when you arrive. I mean, even if you have to pay 5 bucks to do that, it is a thousand dollar + trip, why not just eliminate this one problem. ?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: atm's at cdg

I havent had any problem with the CDG ATMs in the last 2 years. They appears to always be stocked and working, I dont think there has even been a queue of more than 2 people waiting to use them.

Of course, this only applies if you are confident that your cards will work...............

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atm's at cdg

I would bring a couple of bank ATM cards with at least one of them being from a large bank like Citibank, Chase, Bank of America, etc. And I believe that to withdraw the money, it must be in your checking (not savings) account.

Two or three years ago the ATM's at CDG were notorious for misbehaving, but even if they do act up again, you can purchase almost anything you want with a CC at CDG, then you can always get cash in the city once you get there.

And if you are really in a bind, bring a couple hundred with you in U.S. dollars and just change them at one of those money exchange booths.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: atm's at cdg

>> What are ATMs called in French, anyway? (not "Ah-tay-ems," right?!) <<

"Un DAB" (short for Distributeur Automatique de Billets" but we generally say simply "un distributeur".

Irish, we generally say "Delco" for the distributor on a car !

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: atm's at cdg

Joan1: When I was in Victoria I saw how easy it was to get Euros and how much better rate for you! In Seattle I had to order on line wait 3-4 days and was charged $1.35 per Euro and a fee of I believe $15.00 for $200. Euros!

If I were to do it over again I would still pay by credit card for the Bluvan.fr (If needed tip in USD the driver no problem!) and wait til I got to France and use my ATM there!

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: atm's at cdg

We just used the atm at cdg a few weeks ago. It wasn't difficult to find at all and it was very easy. It might depend on where you end up after getting your luggage but we found the ATM right away. It was right next to the Cash Exchange windows.

Our bank only charged us $1.50 fee and if I remember right, the ATM fee was about the same. We thought that was much easier than buying euros in the US.