We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

Hi,

What would be a decent time to budget for the following, considering I am on a three-day trip to Paris?

1. Hôtel des Invalides/Napoleon's Tomb

2. Musee Rodin

3. Musée d'Orsay

4. Pantheon

5. Centre Pompidou

6. Musee Picasso

7. Basilique du Sacré-Coeur

8. Cimetière du Père-Lachaise

Which of these are must to do, and which of these can I skip in case of time crunch?

Regards,

Vivek

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

It really depends on you, and you personal taste. Many visitors never make it to the Pere Lachaise cemetary, but our guests never miss it, o the other hand, I rarely recommend the Invalides because war museums just are not my thing. If you are into Modern Art you will want more time at the Beaubourg than the Louvre, but if you want to see some really great old stuff, it would be the inverse.

Pantheon could easily be missed unless you wanted to see some name plaques or the Rouchefaucault pendulum.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

You did not say when you are going but recently it was posted that Center Pompidou has been on strike.

When I went there the third floor was being re-modeled with many of the modern painting carted off in boxes to be re-installed at the completion,of the re-model. You might want to check the web site as it gets nearer to your travel dates.

Eiffel Tower, Napoleon's Tomb and the Rodin Museum are all pretty close to each other within walking distance.

Pantheon and Cluny Museum are also close to each other.

Pantheon would be the one I would skip if I had a time crunch.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

We were in Paris last week and did the 1st three items on your list in an easy 6 hour day, and I highly recommend them. Do NOT miss Musee D'Orsay! The Rodin is also on my personal must-see list.

Sacre-Coeur was worth the 2 hours we spent on it, if only for the people watching and spectacular views.

Unless you are a big fan of modern Art you may find the Pompidou a bit of a let down. Some of the moving sculptures in the Stravinski Fountain don't work anymore, and the Centre itself is look a bit faded.

You should consider a trip to the top of the Artc de Triomphe at night...amazing view and not too arduous a climb. Have fun!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

We were in Paris last week and did the 1st three items on your list in an easy 6 hour day, and I highly recommend them. Do NOT miss Musee D'Orsay! The Rodin is also on my personal must-see list.

Sacre-Coeur was worth the 2 hours we spent on it, if only for the people watching and spectacular views.

Unless you are a big fan of modern Art you may find the Pompidou a bit of a let down. Some of the moving sculptures in the Stravinski Fountain don't work anymore, and the Centre itself is look a bit faded.

You should consider a trip to the top of the Artc de Triomphe at night...amazing view and not too arduous a climb. Have fun!

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

>>>Which of these are must to do, and which of these can I skip in case of time crunch?<<<

ALL.....or.....NONE. It will depend entirely on your own presonal preferences, tastes and interests. Some things you need to decide for yourself. For ourselves, we wouldn't consider a visit to Paris that didn't include tiime to visit with '..old friends..' at the musées Picasso and d'Orsay...and try to find time to spend a few minutes with Jules Bastien-Lepage at the Rodin.

Take some time and do some personal research and assign your own priorities.

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

Thanks to all of you.

Nobody spoke about Basilique du Sacré-coeur and Musee Picasso so far. Are they advised? How long should I budget for them?

As far as our tastes are considered, we are not great conossieurs of art, but we like and can appreciate good paintings and sculpture.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

I agree, it depends on your personal tastes.

1. Museum & Tomb-we spent 1 3/4-2 hrs.

3. Orsay-2 1/2-3 hrs.

7. Sacre Coeur-45 min.

8. Pere-Lacaise-2 1/2 - 3 hours but could have spent a lot more-found two tombs of relatives there so it was exciting.

We loved all of the above and wouldn't have skipped any of them. We did not visit the others you mentioned.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

obviously your personal taste is a factor here -- but I would not bother with the Pantheon on a two week trip to Paris much less a three day trip, and the Picasso museum is IMHO a repository of mostly lesser work -- if you love love love Picasso, maybe -- but if you have seen much of his work elsewhere, then not so much.

the garden at the Rodin is delightful -- but in winter I am not sure I would make it a stop in so short a trip --

the art at the Pompidou is mediocre for the most part -- so this is not one I would do -- and Sacre Coeur is better from a distance -- not so attractive or interesting up close

the Orsay is a must for many -- I think the stuff on the first couple of floors in the main station is quite interesting -- and of course the impressionists are worth the trip -- get tickets ahead (you can pick them up the day before) and give it at least 3 hours

Napoleon's tomb? only if you must.

I love Pere Lachaise -- but with only 3 days I would probably cross it off for another trip -- it is also a delight in summer but in winter not so much -- with only 3 days -- the Louvre, strolling the Seine, walking walking walking -- Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, cafes and restaurants -- and the Orsay -- that is pretty much 3 days

9. Re: Budgeting time for some Paris attractrions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 21:20