We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orly airport transferes

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
orly airport transferes

whats the best way to get from orly airport to the centre of paris.

i am staying 400 yards away from opera if that helps.

i will get a taxi if i have to but i would like to use train or public transport to keep the cost down,also exciting i think.

how long will it take by the way...thanks in advance....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: orly airport transferes

I have been told in previous postings that a taxi to Orly just may be the best bet. Is saving 10 or 20 Euros really that important when spending thousands on a vacation????

I fully understand that public transit is the best for getting around the city, but maybe to the airport the conveniece of a taxi is best.

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orly airport transferes

You're a bit oddly located for most of the public transportation transfer alternatives out to ORLY. Your best bet for the transfer will probably be to take the #8 Metro ligne (heading in the direction of Balard) tfrom the OPERA station to INVALIDES and then come up to street level (ride a Metro car at the rear of the train and you will probably come up at the street-exit right at the AF bus stop) and take the #1 Les Cars Air France bus route from Aerogare Invalides to your ORLY departure terminal. The various RER 'B' Orlyval and Orlybus connections are probably too '..clunky..' from your location near OPERA. The #1 Les Cars Air France fare from AEROGARE des INVALIDES to ORLY is 9 €uro.

#1-Les CARS AIR FRANCE Route--

http://www.airfrance.com/double6/passage2.nsf/(LookupPublishedWeb)/en-EXCDG-CarsAF?OpenDocument#

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orly airport transferes

decision taken a taxi will do for me .too complicated ,but what a knowledgeable response from the expert...fantastic..thanks..

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: orly airport transferes

teen, maybe KDK's love of details (no offense, KDK! ) put you off, but it is actually much more straightforward than what he describes, especially given the fact that your actual ride will be Orly to Opéra, and not backwards, as he describes it. So, in my words this would be:

- At Orly, take the AF bus to Invalides. Get off at final stop (Invalides). As you exit the bus, five metres from the stop you'll see a huge yellow "M" sign: that's the métro. Get inside, line 8, direction Créteil. Three or four stops later, get off at Opéra. Voilà.

- Alternatively, at Orly take the Orlyval monorail direction "Paris Centre". One easy change at Antony; another easy change (cross the platform at Les Halles) for one station. Get off at Auber. Voilà.

Normally, I would advocate taking a cab. But since you seem to be by yourself, public transport over a taxi means a €15-20 saving. In Paris it's almost a good dinner with wine...

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: orly airport transferes

>>>given the fact that your actual ride will be Orly to Opéra, and not backwards<<<

With apologies to the original inquirer for mistaking direction...the # 1 Les Cars Air France transfer--to or from ORLY--isn't all that difficult coming or going. As norted, the entrances to the INVALIDES Metro station for the #8 ligne to OPERA are right there at the AFC drop-off point....and if you aren't up to 'discovering' the Metro just then, there will be a regular taxi stand right there at the stop as well, to take the short taxi ride across the Seine, directly to your hotel. It's good to have choices.

But as a basis of cost comparison, a TAXI PARISIAN from ORLY to the OPERA neighborhoods will probably run 35-40 € (depending on the vagaries of surface traffic).

The RER 'B' ligne transfers from ORLY will be more complicated...and involve at least three(3) transfers to arrive at your destination

Which ever method--or combination--of airport transfer you decide to employ, it's best to gather the information...so that you can decide on-the-spot and/or in-the-moment which one will suit best. As noted, any cost saving might better be '..re-invested..' in a better bottle of wine with lunch, a different restaurant, extra desserts with dinners, something nice for yourself...that you might otherwise not do or buy. By the time you actually arrive, the matter of '..thousands for a trip..' is something of an abstraction. Saving 5, 10, 25, etc €uro on this and that, here and there while you're there (that may be better '..re-invested.' in other things) usually becomes the reality.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: orly airport transferes

i thank you both for the information...now i feel more confidant.

i have decided to take your directions on board and become a Parisian for the day and hop aboard public transport and probably get lost ( <My husband will panic but i will love it )

dont worry i will get a taxi on my homeward journey just to be on the safe side.....many thanks......

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: orly airport transferes

>>I have been told in previous postings that a taxi to Orly just may be the best bet. Is saving 10 or 20 Euros really that important when spending thousands on a vacation????<<<

That may be true in your situation, but someone coming from the UK is likely to have spent less on their airfare to Paris than the cost of a taxi.

8. Re: orly airport transferes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 01:17