We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

We just got back from three fabulous days in Paris celebrating our 5 year anniversary. It was truly everything I dreamed of and more and a big thanks goes out to this forum for all the recommendations and advice. I am not going to do a typical report – I’ll give a brief rundown of what we did, but focus more on many of the questions I see come up on this forum over and over again.

Hotel: We stayed at the Hotel Sezz in the 16th. It is a very stylish and hip hotel located just off the Seine by the Passy metro stop. I loved it, but it was a bit too modern for my wife’s taste. The bathroom was to die for with a round tub big enough for four people and a huge rain shower. If you become a member of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (for around 10 British Pounds) you get a room upgrade and breakfast in bed each day – a true steal.

What we did: Eiffel Tower, Louvre, La Conciergerie, Les Catacombes, Orsay, Sacre-Coeur, Notre Dame (my favorite), evening Seine cruise (no dinner), Picasso Museum, Centre Pompidou, Arc de Triomphe, and shopped, shopped, shopped.

Where we ate: Lunch at La Table de Joel Robuchon, dinner at Café de l’Homme, a couple of meals at Latin Quarter bistros, and lots of Crepe Nutellas / Fromage. The lunch at Robuchon was one of my best meals ever. That being said, the difference in price between the pricy meals (Robuchon and l’Homme at about $250) and our prix fixe meals at the bistros (about $75 with wine) was far greater than the difference in the quality of the food and the experience. In fact, my wife’s favorite meal was at Bistro 30 in the LQ.

Museum Pass: To me, this is a no-brainer. We bought a 2 day Museum Pass for 30 Euros each (and would have gladly paid 60). All the museums had very long lines for security and for tickets. With the pass you bypass both. I’d much rather spend my short time in Paris looking at the art of Renoir and Monet than standing in line.

Metro: One of the cleanest and easiest I have used. They are extremely well signed, and as long as you know the stop you want, I found it practically impossible to get lost. All you must know is that “Sortie” means exit and you are good to go.

CDG – Paris: Originally, I decided to take the RER and Metro to our hotel from CDG. But after the long flight and waiting for what seemed like forever for our luggage to arrive, we opted for a cab. 45 Euros was money well spent. We took a cab back to CDG early Sunday morning which cost us 60 E.

French People: Could not have been nicer. Everyone I tried to talk to was receptive and friendly. The waiters at restaurants explained everything in English and were genuinely friendly (and even funny).

Safety: Maybe I didn’t go into any “questionable” areas, but I never felt uneasy at any point on the trip. I kept my wallet in my front pocket and, while on the metro, my hand in the same pocket. Nobody dropped any rings or tried to pull any other scams I have read about.

Clothing: There were many more tourists (from all over the world) in Paris than I expected. If you are comfortable in blue jeans and sneakers then that is what you should wear (as many people wore just that). I saw plenty of people wearing many different styles of clothing and not once did I see anyone pointing or hear anyone making comments. If you are going to a nice restaurant, ask your hotel’s concierge what the expected dress is and follow their advice.

My advice: Don’t sweat the details. The metro is easy to use, people are friendly, and the city is safe. Dress warmly, plan on walking a lot, and have a big appetite. You will love Paris as we did!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Glad you had a great time!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Thanks for the great report...we leave next tuesday. Where did you buy the museum pass? I assume we can buy one at the tourist info at L'Opera but just wondered if you can get them anywhere. Thanks.

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

We bought ours at La Conciergerie but you can buy them at any participating museum. They can also be bought at the Paris Tourist office and at the Espace du Tourisme.

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

bulbasaur, how was your trip???

Israel
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Hi kovets! I'm glad that you had such a nice trip, and it's nice to hear that your wife's favorite meal was not the most expensive.

You didn't mention seeing the amazing Sainte Chappelle, which is right next to the Conciergerie. It's a pity you missed this gem, and you should definitely go there on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Hi Kovets, not only do you sound as if you had a great trip but you have provided a lot of very useful and sensible advice for others planning a trip.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

Yup - esp. the one about the "walking a lot and have a big appetite!" - that sort of runs down my Paris to the essentials......

8. Re: Paris Trip Report, Observations, & Reccomendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:18