We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moulin rouge attire

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
moulin rouge attire

Hi,

I know this is a touchy subject but we are taking our 14 and 18 yr old to see the Moulin Rouge. I agree with another poster that they probably see worse when they have sneaked around watching R rated movies. My problem is that I asked before I made the reservation about attire. My boys don't have dress shoes and even if they did I really don't want to pack them for one night out. They have sneakers. Do you think we would be ok to have them dress in dockers and a nice shirt and their white sneakers? I just don't want to spend the money and be turned away at the door. The response I got back from the Moulin Rouge was No jeans or sneakers...any help would be appreciated. Thank you

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moulin rouge attire

I really have no experience with the place, but my guess would be that they don't want athletic shoes. If they are trendy, citywise sneakers then you'd probably be ok.

USA
Level Contributor
27,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moulin rouge attire

I don't think that they are going to have any difficulty at all with the sort of wardrobe you describe...as to what these kids see or don't see....forget R-rated films....when was the last time you walked the halls of the average US high school at lunch hour?? You'll usually find just about everything just shy of actual full-frontal nudity. Frankly, I suspect the kids will find the show '..lame..'.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: moulin rouge attire

Dockers and white shirt fine.

"Sneakers" I'm sure we all have different ideas as to what 'sneakers' are. Certainly in Europe it's a puzzle.

Trendy sneakers ok. however, what in U.K. and I believe Paris would be called trainers (athletic style) could be refused entry.

If the door policy is "no jeans and trainers" it means (IMO) Avoid white sports shoes and you'll probably be o.k. Turn up with white running shoes and you could be turned away. I think they would say to an American "no sneakers" meaning no white running shoes.

I think the bottom line is, if the kids have made an efort and look smart there will be some discretion.

Hope this helps. Have a great time,

Stoofer.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: moulin rouge attire

thank you all for the response...no matter what the boys opinion of Moulin Rouge turns out to be, they will have had the experience. I saw the Folies Bergere(SP?) when I was a teen and was quite impressed by the costumes and don't recall being bothered by the nudity and that was many years ago. I ended up getting another response from the Moulin Rouge and they said no prob with dress pants, dress shirt and sneakers for the boys so I guess we will go. If I think of it I will post a response here when we get back as to what we all thought of it. I am really surprised at the attitude towards this show though. I am going just with the idea that we will experience a show associated very much with Paris and that's that.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: moulin rouge attire

Bulbasaur

IMO you have a very wise outlook. Lots of peope condem MR, and yes it's not what it was but I doubt your teenagers will regret the experience when they look back in later years. At least they HAVE been, rather than wonder.

Don't have too many high expectations but it is an enjoyable experience. Over priced but hey, your on vacation!

I'm trying to avoid commenting on the 'touchy ' subject. But you will find it's really tame. I went first to MR when I was just 17. In those days (30 years ago) it was much more risque. I was the youngest there but it was a quality act. I've been many times for various reasons (business, family etc.) but I still remember going as a 17 year old - that's my overiding memory.

It's true it's become more of a tourist trap in recent years, but for an American on a one - off visit, I don't see why you should avoid it.

I really hope you enjoy the trip, and look forward to your review.

Stoofer.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: moulin rouge attire

Thank you for your post. I initially thought you were going to rip into me for taking the boys. LOL...I know it is pricey and you are right, we are on vacation and even though I try to be frugal there are some things that you just have to do. Just because. I thought about taking them to the Follies but since I had seen it before I figured we could all enjoy a new experience and like you I still remember seeing the Follies at the ripe old age of 14, many moons ago...I will try to remember to let you know how our trip goes...We are crazy into college applications too, so I will be nuts when I get back making all the deadlines but it is nice to take a break and chat about our memorable experiences. Thank you again for your response

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moulin rouge attire

Hi- we were at the Moulin Rouge in September. Yes it's overpriced, but we had to go! I noticed that although the majority of people were dressed up (men with ties etc) there were quite a few people who were quite casual. I don't think they will turn you away for kids in sneakers. And also- the costumes are beautiful and very tasteful. Much nicer for the boys than thumbing through the Sears catalogue.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moulin rouge attire

I can understand why you wouldn't want your boys to have to buy dress shoes solely for this occasion. If for some reason, someone at the MR gives you a hard time because of the sneakers, I suggest that you make up a story about how these kids have to wear them for orthopedic reasons. "Le docteur.........." No one should dare argue with a doctor's recommendations, right? Incidentally, when my son had his Bar MItzvah 14 years ago, he wore his brand new white sneakers.

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moulin rouge attire

We were just there on Thursday and I think as long as your kids are dressed appropriately, the shoes wont be an issue. Honestly, there were SO many people, I seriously doubt they took 2 seconds to notice what we had on! There was a wide range of attire... just so long as they are not in jogging suits, Im sure you're fine :)

We thought the show was quite enjoyable. Definitely overpriced but an experience none the less - something that must be done at least once in your life :)

enjoy yourselves!!

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: moulin rouge attire

PS: We took the advice of numerous people and skipped the dinner and just went to the show and we were quite glad. Our neighbors ate and while it looked 'ok' - we certainly had a nicer meal for cheaper before the show. Just my 2c again!