We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
55 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

Is London a possibility for a day trip from Paris? I know I wouldn't get to see all or even much of the city, but thought it could be fun? Any suggestions either way? Aside from Versailles, any other places outside the city that are a must?

Thanks!

New Haven
Level Contributor
86 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

Hi- how about the Normandy beaches and Giverney?

York
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

If you look at previous postings, the eurostar from Paris to London would be your quickest option and that would take 3 hours each way.

It really depends on whether your experience of travelling to London would outweigh staying in Paris/France. You have to consider whether travelling six hours in one day would impinge on your following day's activities too. It would be fun to say you had tea at the Ritz for example, but would it be worth the tiredness you'd feel from all the travelling afterwards? And if anything went wrong, would you have a certain view of London that isn't really warranted? It's a tricky one, because sometimes the heart overrules the head and if you really want to do it, you will.

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

Clumsylsis: We are planning on going forth with the London day trip via the Eurostar, against advice to turn it into a 2 day trip. We are tailoring our "spots" to hop off to about 3 or 4 destinations in a quick time. We are going to retire early the night before (bed by 10 pm) and hit the early morning rail. This should pull us into London at approximately 8:30 a.m. From which we will walk to get on the Hop on/off tour bus. I printed off a map via the internet and have already chosen a route to go on. We will do the tour (hopping on and off at our various destinations). Then, since tour only runs certain hours, make sure we hit it back to our starting point. We will catch the 6p or later train back. Will be scheduling the trip in another week with departure and arrival to London, departure and arrive times back to Paris.There is a stop right near the Eurostar station. Then, wait and get ready to go back to Paris. Jam packed day! Our next day will be spent sleeping in (probably until 8:00 or 8:30) and using time to visit and shop around our local area (as well as hit the Musee Picasso).We'll also do other adventures as time allows. When are you going? We are going in early March, so if you go after that look for our trip report... as we will report on how the day trip went . IOWADUO

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

Fyi: Just checked the Eurostar website; We will probably take the 6:30 train (at station by 5:30a) and arrive at 8:30a. Tour it until 4:15 or 5:15 (good 8 - 9 hours), then take the train back to Paris arrival between 10:00 or 11:00p - depending on which time we book for. Immensely long day, however, we have planned accordingly for this. Going the middle of our stay...jet lag will be worn off hopefully, and planned the days around. Also, when will we get this chance again?!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

London is feasable, but as you said, makes for a long day. There's the beaches of Normandy, Mont St. Michel, Chartres, the Loire Valley or even Disneyland Paris to consider as well.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

London is doable, but I think the total travel time of over seven hours plus the time to get to and from your hotel makes the value questionable at best. To the train time you need to add the fact that you must check in *at least* a half hour before your departure time at either end. London needs a lot more than a rushed few hours of "sight-grabbing" IMO.

Giverny is a delightful trip that takes most of a day by itself by train, but only doable in the warmer months as the gardens are closed in winter. You could not possibly see both Giverny and the Normandy beaches on the same day. The beaches and the many other associated sites need at least a full day to themselves and two would be better.

There are a dozen or more places within an hour — and sometimes much less — of Paris by train that are very much worth visiting. Many of these fall into the "must see" category IMO. An incomplete list would include (besides Giverny) Chartres, Chantilly, Senlis, Fontainebleau, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Écouen, Provins, St. Germain-en-Laye, Rueil Malmaison, Sceaux, St. Denis, and a bunch more. Most of these have splendid and historic cathedrals and/or châteaux and/or beautiful parks. Many of them also have superb museums. Bruges and Brussels are also doable. Brussels is only 90 minutes by high speed train from Paris.

There are *very* long day-trips by coach to the Normandy beaches and the Loire valley, but again I question the value of these given that you will spend a lot of time travelling and not nearly enough time in the areas to do them justice. A day trip to Mont St. Michel will give you enough time to visit the abbey and the rest of the site, though not at leisure. It's still a very long day. And all these coach trips are expensive.

You could do a search on all the places I mentioned and just on day trips. There have been many threads on this topic.

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

If this is your one shot at Europe and you want to squeeze another city in because you'll never be back, why not go for it? My only time in London was a 12-hour layover on my way to Africa. I did the hop-on, hop-off bus, hopped off to see Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey, walked around a little, and headed back to the airport. I was glad to see what little I did because I have never made it back there.

If, however, you will probably go to London some other time, it would be easier on you to stay closer to Paris. We really enjoyed Chartres.

8. Re: 1 week in Paris - feasible day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 04:16