We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help on Paris to Venice to Rome

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
austin, texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help on Paris to Venice to Rome

My wife and I are headed to Paris March 1 and the idea of a bottle of wine on an overnight train March 5 to Venice sounds appealing. I've searched and read many of the related topics but woud ask:

1- are we crazy? :) (we are, but this is our 30th anniversary and it does sound nice).

2- FF miles are taking care of the airfare so we feel we can splurge a bit on hotels and the train -- what train and what would be the nicest berth/accomodation you might recommend?

3- Could that same train pass then be used to get us to Rome to fly back?

Thanks so much in advance.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

If you are thinking of a night train to Venice as some kind of wonderful adventure with the men all in dinner jackets and the women wearing their best Schiaparelli gowns and dripping in diamonds — or even anything close to that — then I think you probably have the wrong idea.

Unless that is you are willing to sell the boat:

orient-express.com/web/…3_939.jsp

I am being quite serious here. Even if you splurge and travel first class, the notion of enjoying a sophisticated meal with a nice bottle of wine on an overnight train from Paris to Venice does not quite correspond to today's reality.

Much better to take a quick flight even on a budget airline, but Air France will do you just fine if you fly RT, and have that lovely anniversary dinner at one end or the other...

I will let Bob_S take over from here. Just for once we might agree about something! :-)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

This is what sleepers look like:

http://www.seat61.com/Sleepers.htm

3. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2015, 18:24
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

Gosh, Irish, thanks for imaginary trip I just took on the Orient Express from the link you posted. If only I had a boat I could sell...

Mkaustex, if you're not panning to splurge on the train, I'd like to add that the flight from Paris to Venice can be quite wonderful. If you get lucky, your plane will be routed right over the Alps, which is a spectacular sight. I love taking this particular flight.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

Just fly, it's not expensive and the train is just a huge waste of time.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

I don't know if you have already booked your trans-Atlantic flights, but, if not, you might want to look at flying open jaw from Austin to Paris, returning from Rome to Austin. That would save a lot of back-tracking. Alternatively you coud fly RT from Austin to Rome with a stopover in Paris. Then you could add the Rome-Venice-Rome bit in by train and even stop for a couple of days in Florence (a city I find very interesting, BTW) if you have time. That would probably work best if you are flying Air France or Delta but might be made to work wiith a different airline.

Otherwise a number of options occur to me for the Paris-Venice-Rome-Paris routing. you could fly RT withAir France to Rome or Venice and use the same RT train idea within Italy or fly EasyJet between Rome and Paris and MyAir between Venice and Paris.

If you are bound and determined to travel by train from Paris to Venice and then Rome and back to Paris, point-to-point tickets booked in advance on the relevant national rail web sites, voyages-sncf.com and trenitalia.it would almost certainly be less expensive than a railpass. You shouldn't wait too long before making some final decisions as the discounted fares tend to sell out quickly and March 1 is not far off.

Lastly, if I were going to travel either Paris-Venice or Rome-Paris by train, I would probably make the trip by day and stop overnight in Switzerland en route to Venice and perhaps in Nice en route to Paris.

austin, texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

Thank you all so much and yes, you may have changed my mind about taking a train.

We're flying Delta to Paris and leaving from Rome. While this may seem like cramming too much in:

we're planning three days in Paris, two in Venice, 7 in Florence and Tuscany, then down to Rome for 4 days.

We're meeting a larger group of friends in Florence and Rome, yet hoped to take in a few additional sites before joining them.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

What a fantastic trip you have planned! I have an almost "reverse" one planned for September - into Rome (3 days), Praiana (3), Tuscany (5) Florence/Venice loop (4 days) then driving across to France via Aix-en-Provence (2), Carcassone (2)and staying a week near Sarlat, train to Paris (2 nights) then home.

Please post a report....!!

Sandra

9. Re: help on Paris to Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 00:16