We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in Paris

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Apartments in Paris

I'm going to be visiting Paris from June 4-11, 2006.

Where is the best place to look for these kinds of alternate accomodations and whay areas of the city are best to stay in?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments in Paris

Put "apartment" in the Paris search engine at the top of the page and you will get many threads on the subject. Most rental apartments are in a nice area. What I mean is that, there are no really bad areas of Paris proper and, since you will be getting around by Metro or bus, any area where there is an apartment for rent for holidays will be "central" enough for your purposes. Most of the major rental agencies are reputable. The most commonly mentioned are vrbo.com, parisstay.com, vacationinparis.com. Many others. I think you will find that, after staying in a vacation apartment, it may well ruin you for hotels thereafter. I recommend them highly, as will many others. Good luck.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments in Paris

Oh dear - you've already had your holiday....(check your dates! - I too am "turning 50" and really relate to this - It's worse when I type in 1990-something! :)

This was part of my response to a different post - and it may be helpful for you..

I have used apartments several times and I have a couple of "security" checks I apply for myself - these being:

1. I ALWAYS check to see that there's positive reports from previous tenants, from across number of websites (eg, I google the address and if there's no other listings or reports, I don't persue that apartment)

2. I make direct contact with the owner and ask many, many questions about the apartment -over a period of weeks (I am probably one of "those" tenants!)

3. I do not send cash via any method other than by PAYPAL and try to have most of the transaction conducted in cash, on arrival.

4. I ALWAYS do a location search and compare the neighbourhood with what is described by the owner

and...all of the above can still result in a fraud. So far, I haven't had a problem. I've used VRBO, Lodgis and CentreParis, without any real problems (other than minor descriptors, such as - there was no courtyard view from my apartment).

Enjoy your searching - you'll learn lots about Paris in the process...

Sandra

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments in Paris

I've also used VRBO, and had good luck. I much prefer to stay in apartments now when I travel because you buy all that delectable French food at the open air markets and cook it! I've done the same thing in Rome and Amsterdam.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments in Paris

I had a good experience using www.parisaddress.com for a two week stay in the latin quarter in October.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments in Paris

You're just a baby --

I also prefer an apartment so that I can have my breakfast in my jammies - I hate having to go out for it, but when I'm alone I usually stay in a hotel.

There really aren't any "not best" areas in which to stay. I'm female and have been travelling into Paris alone for about 15 years now. I've never felt unsafe anywhere at any time. The Metro is so easy and efficient that almost anywhere is "central". Additionally, it's much more like being a Parisian if you're in a more residential neighbourhood than if you're staying the Louvre's back yard.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments in Paris

soooo, you've been travelling around since the year 1BC?? Wow! That's impressive.

I click over onto another decade tomorrow - so being considered a "baby" is very reassuring..

Sandra

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments in Paris

Hi Sandra /stur3128:

>> I click over onto another decade tomorrow <<

CONGRATULATIONS on your XX birthday ! Hope you'll have a great day with lots of friends and presents !

(I turn 50 next November and I am starting to feel stoneage-old.....)

As to turniing50:

www.perfectlyparis.com is my choice for next summer. The girl who runs it is a Canadian, Gail Boisclair, who lives in Paris - and she is really so nice to deal with. Everything has until now worked smoothly, incl. PayPal.

Search for her name in the blank box at the top, and you will see lot af "fan-letters". Most of her apartments are in Montmartre, but also some in the 17th arr. (Batignolles) and in the 9th. arr. (Nouvelle Athènes). I chose the "Rooftop Vista" as I love Montmartre.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments in Paris

We rented an apartment in the Latin Quarter 5th Arrondisement. IT is VRBO 53919. When you view it you will see that there is a separate webpage for this unit. It was fabulous. There were 5 of us that stayed for a ten day period. It was wonderful. The apartment is exactly as displayed in the pictures. The location is wonderful. Close to subway, taxis & bus. Restaurants & bakeries in walking distance. I would not hesitate to recommend this unit or stay there again. The owners are very easy to work with and provided us with tons of information about Paris. We were there in Ocotober. Enjoy

9. Re: Apartments in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2007, 01:10
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments in Paris

Thanks to everyone. I've been looking for apartment rentals for so long that I'm not even sure what area I should focus on.

I want an area that is lively and alot of cafes and restaurants that I can be comfortable walking around at during the late evening.

I would like to stick with a budget of around 900 Euros a week.

I liked the look of the property 53919 that was suggested but it is a 2 BR and we only need a studio or one bedroom.

All suggestions are very much welcome.

I made a mistake in the time for our visit.

We are going June 1st to the 10th, 2007