We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Thanks for reading my message.

I have spent a good deal of time in Paris over the years and lived there for 4 months when I was 25. The last time I went was for 11 days about 4 years ago (with my parents, however).

I am going for 5 days with my brother (35) in Feb. I was going to wait to post until I had selected a hotel but then I realized I may want to select my hotel based on your suggestions.

Like most veteran paris visitors, I like to spend the days strolling around vaious neighborhoods, grabbing a bite here, a drink there, maybe stop in at a museum for an hour or two, etc. I am covered with the day planning.

I need your help for restaurants/cafes/bistors, hotel and arrondissement selection. On my last trip, I stayed at the Victoires Opera on rue Montorgueil in the 2nd. The place had a nice location but was kind of dead at night.

I am not looking for Bain Douche by any means, but I would like to be situated near some frequented pubs, lounges, bistros where we might find some other late 20's to 30-something people to enjoy a few cokctails, attend to the latest political conversation, etc.

I really liked the vibe at Le Fumoir just behind the louvre. Similar places (or others) would be welcomed if you could suggest a few. Also, I remember there being a wine bar on/near st.honore just east of the vendome area. Any wine bars of choice (casual preferred).

I am thinking 5th/6th. Am I on the right track? We would like to come in around $180-$220/night for a room with two twins or two doubles (preferred). I saw Hotel Walt which seemed nice but is a bit further away than what we would like. We prefer the more modern looking clean hotels than the older "charming" variety. The hotel doesn't have to be great, but it would not hurt if it could be both centrally located and nice.

So...Please...fire away.

Thanks again for reading.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

One more thing: I used to love to go to Chez Jean Pierre on rue St. Roch, just a 100 meters or so north of eglise st. roch and st.honore. I heard through the grapevine that he retired so I would love to find a local dive with the one waiter, one bus boy and one chef (preferably one like my old friend Jean Pierre) set-up. You know, the kind of place where they pour you a glass of wine before you even ask for anything. If your lucky, they might offer a Galoise after dinner. Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks again for reading.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Happy New Year

IMO you might like the rue Moufftard area, 5th which you may have gone to when a student. Lotsa nice looking night places with 20 to 30ish people, some around pl.Countercarp. If you walk a block or two off the rue, plenty of locals restaurants which might fit the bill for you.

Have fun.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

I was actually working there for 4 months as part of an internship when in grad school and did not see rue Moufftard until I went back with my parents in December, 2002. Thats the street with the open food market, correct?

Thanks for the heads up.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Hi,

Yes it has a food market mostly everyday but thats down the hill nearer St Medard on rue Moufftared near Gobelins.................a very nice area too. The place de la Contrescape is on the top of rue Moufftard closer to the Patheon.

Stayed there once for a couple of months and just loved it. Every type place you might want from very touristy to locals. There is a metro stop (with escalator) sorta just in the center of the rue...........Its metro Monge..............one block over. There is also one at the bottom of the hill nearer the food markets. Also many buses going all over.........and a pretty easy walk to the Seine

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Thanks again for the reply.

I will look into this area. Seems like the 6th would be ideal for what we are looking for. You get the latin quarter on one side, St. Germain on the other, ile st. louis in front and the marais across the river.

So many choices.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

I would steer you to the 6th or the 4th (le Marais) However just be aware that the 4th is the gay district and you and your brother could be taken for a couple...which really doesn't matter but you might want to know that upfront.

The 6th sounds like what someone in your price and age range is looking for.

In your price range I would check out the Hotel de Fleurie and Le Madison in the 6th. There are some real modern places too, but they tend to come at higher prices (Bel Ami, for example). ANyway, these are all extremely central and nice.

Restaurants you might like:

Ze Kitchen Galerie on the Rue des grands augustins in the 6th

Spicy in the 8th (pretty modern)

Le Comptoir in the 6th (reserve months in advance)

Mon Vieil Ami on the Ile St. Louis

USA
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

I'm a fan of the neighborhoods of the upper-6eme--Saint Germain des Pres---from the Luxembourg north to the Seine (the area generally within rue Vaugirard, Blvd Saint Michel. rus du Bac & the Seine) There is more than enough variety---in the form of cafés, bistrots, restaurants, entertainments in the evening and easy strolling / walking distances to a great many sights and attractions.

Within your budget in the area--approx 135 €--165 € check out these (among others)--

HÔTEL MICHELET ODÉON (2-star)--6 Place de l' Odéon (at rue Rotrou), 75006, Metro: Odéon--

http://www.hotelmicheletodeon.com/

GRAND HÔTEL des GRANDS BALCONS (2-star)--3 rue Casimir Delavigne (btwn. Place de l' Odéon & rue Monsieur Le Prince),Metro: Odéon

http://www.hotelgrandsbalcons.com/

http://www.paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/

HÔTEL SAINT PAUL (3-star)--43 rue Monsieur le Prince (btwn. rue Racine & rue Vaugirard), 75006, Metro: Odéon--

http://www.hotelsaintpaulparis.com/

ODÉON HÔTEL (3-star)--3 rue de l'Odéon, Metro: Odéon--

http://www.odeonhotel.fr/

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

KD,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sometimes, I can't tell the difference b/t 2 and 3 star hotels in Paris but I'll take it that these 2 star suggestions are more like the 3 star variety. As expensive as Paris is, I still think one can get a 3 star in a god location for under $225/night.

Les,

I am aware that some consider le Marais as the gay district (though I have never really understood this). Much like Soho and Chelsea are considered the gay areas of NY. During my time in NY and Paris, I have never noticed in inordinate number of gay people in one district vs. the next (not that it matters). My brother and I will have our "Gaydar" turned on and will inform you of our impression.

Thanks to everyone who continues to post. I'll keep reading and inform the crowd of our selection (and post trip report when the time comes).

USA
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

>>> I still think one can get a 3 star in a god location for under $225/night.<<<

You can........but, "...$180-$220..." (approx.135-165€) was your stated budget criteria...and now it appears that you've upped-the-ante to $225 (approx 170€)...or more??...and added 3-star to that criteria. In as much as your hotel budget '..criteria..' appear to be more flexible...check out some of these 3-star alternatives (and be sure to check the Rates pages for any '..winter..' or other special offers)--

http://www.artushotel.com/

http://www.closmedicis.com/

http://www.hotelmodernesaintgermainparis.com/

http://www.hotelabbatialsaintgermain.com/

Or search some of the general hotel sites and come up with your own '..short list..' of those hotels which seem to fit your own personal preferences, priorities,location, budget, etc criteria.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Experts Only: Returning to Paris at 34 (5 nights)

Thanks for the other suggestions--i'll check those out.

Pardon the confusion, i thought:

"...under $225 a night..."

=

$200 or less

I guess you could have assumed that I upped my range $4 since I said under $225/ night and not 1XX-$220.