We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging Money In Paris

What/Where is the best place to exchange cash? I figure i will use a Debit Card, but I wanted to know if there was anywhere else to exchange cash.

Thanks

Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

All Bureaux de Changes will have their exchange rates posted, either on the wall behind the window, or on a sign just in front. My advice is to avoid the ones that have a rate at, near, or better than the rate you saw in the morning's papers. These are the places that lure you in with a good exchange rate and then slap you with a hefty commission or other fee. You must even be wary of the places that advertise no commission, because they'll charge you a fee that's not a commission, but it's still going to cut into the rate. Avoid places that use the word "Net" after their posted rate.

The very best advice I can give you is to ask the person on the other side of the window how many Euros you'll get for the Dollars you're giving them. Have them write it down on a piece of paper and slide it through the window. If you're happy with the rate, give them your money. Otherwise, move on to the next place. And don't be lulled by a blind trust in BdC located at or within a bank. They are sometimes the absolute worst.

There is a BdC located on the north side of the Champs Elysees, near the George V Metro that is open 24/7 and they give an honest exchange. I can't find my papers at the moment to tell you the name, but it's the only 24 hour BdC on that end, on the north side. Depending on how much cash you plan to change, it may or may not be worth going there if it's out of your way.

Debit cards/ATM withdrawals will always give you the best rate, but knowing where to exchange cash should something happen that won't allow you to withdrawal money is always a good idea.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

If you MUST exchange US dollars for €uros, then La POSTE offices throughout the city or the main AMERICAN EXPRESS office at 11 rue Scribe (at rue Auber), 75009 are probably your safest bets. There are Bureau de Change offices located all over the city...but rates, commissions and fees at any may vary widely.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

In an emergency ( ie debit card won't work or is stolen or it is a holiday and banks and American Express Office is closed) if you want to exchange USD cash into Euros a good place to do so is at the many Cambios in Paris and France.

Many do not charge a commission but make sure you look at the sign or ask. The rates are posted for USD exchange which is higher than the US Traveler Check rate.

Make sure you ask them to write how much you will get for the transaction. Many of employees speak English.

There are many Cambios all over Paris. There are two on the left of Notre Dame two blocks away. There are so many down from the Arch de Tromphe and in the Latin quarter.

From my experience last summer the rates for US cash at the Cambio was higher then the post, the bank and American Express.

I can not tell you what the rate is now or if it is still better.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

What i did was go to a bank and take out a lump sum...

since most cc's charge a 3% fee per transaction on top of the exchange rate...

I have Bank of America...and they have a partner can't remember the name right now...but i believe it was just a $5 fee per transaction and the exchange rate. So I did a few lump sums...

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

>>>There are many Cambios all over Paris<<<

"..Cambio.." is simply the Spanish equivalent translation of "..Bureau de Change..'...and often seen on Bureau de Change signage in Paris.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

Hi everyone!

teh: Just returned from our december trip to Paris and changed $1,000 US for 713 euros at Global Change in Bld St. Germain near Odeon metro very close to our hotel (BW Left Bank Premier), no commission;

same rate at La Poste offices (which is the postal services office) but they charge a 5 euro transaction fee no matter how much you change.

Our ATM cards are from Puerto Rico banks and had problems getting cash from most machines (eventhough they are PLUS and we notified our banks before leaving town). They worked at "Society Generale" bank machines only.

Hope this helps you, have a great trip!! enjoy!

puerto rico
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

Hi tehSAC:

I was checking my bank account to get you more info for comparison reasons and I was charged $403.66 plus $3.99 (convertion charge) plus $1.50 (non bank ATM) for a total of $409.19 US dollars for an ATM (at Society Generale, Paris) withdrawal of 300 euros last December.

And as I told you on my previous reply I got 713 euros for $1,000 US dollars at the Cambio (Global) ; so if you are good in mathematics I think I lost around 27 euros for using a Cambio house instead of withdrawing from an ATM machine.

Buttom-line: always try first to withdraw money from ATM machine.

In my case as I told I had problems withdrawing.

8. Re: Exchanging Money In Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 03:17