We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with these airfares?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
What's with these airfares?

They are astronomical right now! I check all the time and they aren't budging.

I'm buying for June (bringing my mom to paris for her bday)...the tickets are out of this world expensive!

When should they go down?

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's with these airfares?

Les,

Your observations are correct.

Next month I am paying about $550 from JFK (New York) to CDG. Previous to this year, I never paid more than $425 to fly to Paris.

I wouldn't say the fares are astronomical though, they are just not as inexpensive as they used to be.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's with these airfares?

Try the end of May

I was also looking at June...but saw that May24- June 6th was cheaper...plus it is during the holiday (memorial day)

about $737+ tax from TPA with American Airlines

Don't know where you are located...

Also there is a big deal with India Airlines from Newark to Paris...might want to check out that if you can get to Newark Cheap...I didnt want to take 2 different carriers since i will be traveling by myself this time...and dont want to be stranded somewhere.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's with these airfares?

No the prices are CRAZY in June...about $1300

AND ALL OF THE REWARD FLIGHTS ARE GONE...well the skysaver rewards with all partners on the skyteam (Delta, NWA etc...)

Pittsburg, KS
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's with these airfares?

Well, I bought my tickets for June out of Kansas City several months ago because I saw a deal. All airlines were hovering at $1100 and up, but they dropped to $900 (50% off) for one weekend with Air France. For another weekend in November, the fare dropped to $800 with Continental, but they went back up again.

Where are you flying out of?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's with these airfares?

I would be tempted to leave it until about a month before you intend flying, unless you see a good offer beforehand.

Unlike in previous times, there is no advantage to booking early with airlines.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's with these airfares?

I have been looking at airfares in August and September and it is expensive from this side of the world becuse the Rugby world cup is on in France from August to September which is normally a fairly inexpensive time - due to the demand from all over the workd going into France at that time I was told that airfares will be reasonably high all year . Mind you in saying that it is probably not a big deal for you guys in the States as most of you don't know what rugby is ( ha ha ) GO THE ALL BLACKS

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's with these airfares?

If you wait too long to buy, the seats will be gone..!

I booked for mid-April b/c I have specific travel period I can go and the 'good' seats were starting to disappear.

Paid $813 total price/all-in per person on US Airways for 4/11-4/21, with one connection each way. That's the other thing - evidently fewer flights on offer, causing those in non-hub cities to have 2 connections. On some airlines, the return to the US was OVERNIGHT as well, at the connection in the US. No way am I doing that.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's with these airfares?

Hello! I am also traveling to Paris (1st time!) with a close friend in June. We were going to wait until March to book but now I'm wondering if we should do it sooner. The only international airlines I have traveled on are Alitalia and Aer Lingus, both of which were only "OK". I saw a pretty good price ($900 with all taxes) on British Airways and a similar price on US Airways. Would we be better off to book with BA's? Thanks!

Level Contributor
767 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's with these airfares?

Last June our friend who joined us in Paris flew from Newark on Air India and felt that it was fine. Prety much on time and her luggage arrived both ends.

We flew USAIR out of Philadelphia with miles and could not complain.

This year we are using miles on Continental but flying Air France as their partner. Unfortunately we could only go from Philadelphia but have to route into NY on the return and then take a shuttle back to Philadelphia. We did this in late September early October for August-September flights.

I doubt that flight prices will drop. In fact Britain is raising its departure taxes by double for any flights leaving Britain. So those who take that route and then come to France are likely to get zapped.

Pacific NW
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's with these airfares?

I shudder to think about what it will cost to get to Paris from Seattle. In 2002, I got a round trip ticket to Paris via Amsterdam on NWA for $399.... now it's probably three times that price for the same ticket.