We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

In early February 2016 I rented an apartment from the much recommended Paris Perfect for a June 2016 stay. Thinking an early reservation (along with full payment) 4 months in advance would guarantee the apartment of our choice, we were shocked to receive an email a few days ago (in late April) saying that the apartment would not be available due to building wide plumbing repairs.

Paris Perfect offered us a replacement apartment in another location, an apartment which was significantly smaller than our first choice. After numerous yet unsuccessful attempts to secure a more comparable apartment, we accepted their offer of the smaller replacement (with no reduction in costs). Then we were told "NO we will not give you the replacement apartment , because repairs "should" be completed by your June arrival." Furthermore, because they have a contract with the owner of the apartment undergoing repairs, they will not release us from our reservation, despite the uncertainty of the availability of the apartment!!!

Having spent the last 2 months making dinner reservations, mapping trips, etc from our initial apartment, this was terribly disappointing. Now we really have no idea what to expect when we arrive in Paris.

I have just sent another round of emails saying that given this "trip of a lifetime" we would like to switch to an apartment that is guaranteed to be available, and given the uncertainty of the time required for building wide repairs, we do not want to take a chance on this reservation.

Paris Perfect has now refused to make their offered switch and has refused to answer my question of what happens in the event that we arrive and the apartment is not habitable. I have asked for their policy 3 times now, and all my requests go unanswered.

Bottom line, I would not rent from them again and I strongly caution the readers of Trip Advisor to think carefully before they make such an expensive investment in booking with them.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
609 Reviews
from US$74.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
669 Reviews
from US$48.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,251 Reviews
from US$103.40*
93 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

Just use Airbnb the best on the world. Discover exactly what you want, right when you need it, anywhere in the world.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
826 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

I think it is possible there was never plumbing work to be done in that building. Perhaps either the owner wanted to use the property, or PP got some better offer and wanted to try to put you elsewhere. Maybe after you rose a stink, they decided to just have you stay in the original apartment. Perhaps the resolution here is for you to ask that they will "guarantee" the apartment will be available, or will upgrade you considerably on your arrival (if they have nothing suitable, that would mean they need to find you something better on their own dime).

When something similar happened to me with a property management company in a ski town, I was able to secure an upgrade to an amazing penthouse unit with one more bedroom/bath and double the square footage. That was the proper way to ensure I would use them again in the future (and recommend them to others).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,155 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

PLumbing repairs are code for 'we got a better offer' or 'we want to lend it to Uncle Vinny that week.' I have read a couple of posts over the years on TA of people who got bait and switched this way and when they walked by the previously rented apartment with the 'plumbing problems' the place was being happily occupied by another group.

AirBNB is certainly no guarantee either as it is fairly common to read of apartments being yanked at the last minute. We have used the agency Perfectly Paris several times and it has been terrific unlike Paris Perfect apparently. Basic integrity means if they can't promise the apartment will be available they would make you whole.

Maybe they didn't lie, but I would be dubious.

I am sorry you are being yanked around and hope it works out.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,276 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

>>Then we were told "NO we will not give you the replacement apartment , because repairs "should" be completed by your June arrival."<<

that sounds like good news, you will get the apartment you wanted

there is no point in speculating what was the issue and if it is as they claim, that makes no difference in any case

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

I just did a dummy search on Paris Perfect apartments. (And whoa! those prices! I have paid only half of those prices for some very nice apartments via other agencies and VRBO.) I searched some summer avaialiblity on studio and one-bedroom apts. and the only amenity i requested was A/C. I checked 2 of the 5 results that popped up. The one-bedroom offered 2 fans, not A/C. Hey, i had 2 fans last summer in my Paris rental and 2 fans does NOT equal a/c. Not one bit. Next I checked a studio option that popped up and NO a/c was offered at all and no fans were mentioned. So, their search engine itself is faulty. And did i mention those prices???

The only way this agency should have handled the situation was to give you an upgrade or to refund your money completely.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

I have never used Airbnb but i have friends who have used it in the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and 15th arrondissemtns, all with excellent results. Upscale properties, not cheap.

Perhaps if the OP can get his many back he could give it a look?

Edited: 26 April 2016, 15:01
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

I have used Paris Apartments Plus (http://www.parisapartmentsplus.com/ ) for several month long business trips to Paris. Their apartments are as advertised and as shown on their site. They require a deposit and full payment about 1 week before arrival. The biggest problem I had was low pressure in the building which took 2 days to resolve. It meant that the bathroom on the upper floor had no water but the other and kitchen were fine. They also replaced a couple of small appliances on the same day we reported them. They were available at any time and on weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

Agree with Janet "plumbing problems" is code for got someone willing to stay longer or for more $$; sounds like the better deal fell through and they decided to honor your reservation. You can run into this issue with AirBnB as it happen to my coworker when she rented a place in Paris- there were plumbing "problems" and they ended up in a dump alternative. I now only use agencies recommended on TA to book my apartments..hopefully someone will search regarding this agency when considering them and see your post...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
United States
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

This agency gets a lot of "hype" but this type of story is VERY common with them. And then there is the "don't use too much power" charge or the "don't run the AC at night" Too bad the OP didn't search on here BEFORE spending money, but....

Sadly this probably won't help The next upset renter will be like the OP and find this board AFTER they are upset. Sigh!

san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice

Don't be too hard on OP orangecounty- my first return to Paris a few years ago I did the same thing, booked an apartment, and then started reading the forum and this was back in the day that there were daily posts about the risks of renting apartments, the scams. I was convinced I would show up to an empty lot with no place to stay; like OP I had paid upfront. Well it all worked out great, the agency was lovely.. But I did learn to use the forum going forward for Paris and other cities.. but some of us do things backwards!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Reply to: Paris (NOT SO) Perfect Apartment Rentals Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted