We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

Missouri, USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

Can anyone who has flown Northwest Airlines recently tell me if they are stringent on the carryon policy?

I can see from their site that they allow bags with a linear dimension of 45 inches (115 cm) and not more than 40 pounds.

But I know how some airlines get some days. You think you're doing the right thing and they adjust the rules that day.

My wife and I are traveling to Paris in April, we each travel lite with the small, wheeled suitcases. Should we expect that they demand the bags be checked?

Brighton, MI
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

You should be good to go as long as your bags meet the criteria on the web site. The only thing that may cause your bags to be gate checked is if the overhead bins are full.

Have a nice flight !

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

What airport are you leaving from? If you are leaving from a small city on a commuter plane you will have to gate check to your hub.

You will have no problem on your overseas flight. We flew in a Northwest Airbus out of Detroit, it has plenty of overhead storage. The individual entertainment screen is great too. You can watch any one of a number of movies on demand, play video games and follow your flight path. It really made the time pass. The food was okay, too. I am not saying it was great, but we got dinner and a small breakfast.

Missouri, USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

Thanks for the two replies.

I'll be leaving from Kansas City. So it should be accommodating too.

Great to know they have good on board storage capabilities.

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

>>>You think you're doing the right thing and they adjust the rules that day<<<

And therein lies the rub. Someone else's experience one day, from one airport, on one flight, might not be yours the next (or even the same day from a different airport or even with a different check-in agent)---for any number of reasons. So, if not having to check luggage is a priority, it's best to stick to the posted rules and procedures---or risk being hassled removing necessary carry-on items from your bags when a check-in agent tells you you're '..over..'.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
924 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwest Airlines Carry On Restrictions

I flew Northwest earlier this week. I saw no attempt to restrict carry-on. I had a briefcase and small duffel bag. I will admit I did not see many garment bags, etc, but I also saw no one stopping anyone.

I did have the misfortune of flying one of their 757s on my return flight. The good news is that the overheads were roomy and accomodated my duffel bag. The bad news is that I have never been on a plane with more seats crammed in. Three on each side of the aisle left the narrowest aisle I have seen on a full sized plane. I am 6-2 and my knees were up against the seat in front of me. Hopefully you get a larger plane to Paris.