We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What day trips are a must?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What day trips are a must?

We will be in Paris this June. We are staying for 6 nights. While we are there, we were hoping to take 1-2 day trips. What are some suggestions for day trips? I would like to go to Versailles, possibly Lyon. Any help would be great! Thanks.

CC

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What day trips are a must?

What are your interests? There are chateaux, forests, museums, war memorial and monuments scattered through out the region. Brussels, Champagne, Deauville, Burgundy, Monet's home, Van Gogh's haunts, there are hundreds of options.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What day trips are a must?

No daytrip is a ''must'' but with your limited time in Paris I would only do Versaille.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,417 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What day trips are a must?

The only thing I have done on every one of my four trips to Paris is take the metro to Montmartre and follow a self-guided tour from the metro stop to the top at Sacred Coeur. It's nice to have lunch at one of the many cafes at the top, walk around the artists "square," visit the chapel, then walk down another way by the Lapin Agile and the smallest vinyard in Paris. My "must."

Pjk

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What day trips are a must?

Thanks for the responses.

I am somewhat of a wine lover. I would love to visit a vineyard that will allow tours of the grapes, samplings of the wines, and maybe provides an eatery.

Versailles should satisfy the history-buff in me, but I need a trip to satisfy the wine lover in me, too.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What day trips are a must?

>>>>>>I would love to visit a vineyard that will allow tours of the grapes, samplings of the wines, and maybe provides an eatery.<<<<<<<<

Well, I wouldn't expect too much of the Chateau de Montmartre ! The history of the vineyard (according to what I have read) runs thus: A collection of hippie-artists around 1900-turn of the century decided (probably in a very high spirited mood !) that "Weee mustch have *hic* an itschby-bitschy *hic* vineyard of our own - this iszz nessssecchary....." And then they triumphantly aquired the land, planted the grapeplants and happily determined to have a BIG TIME grapeharvest-party the following year........ I believe this says something about our bohemian winegrowers and their deep knowledge of winegrowing ! Add to this that the Montmartre Vineyard is the ONLY vineyard on this good planet that turns to the north, not one sunbeam ever reaches the poor grapeplants..... After what I have read the Montmartre wine is totally undrinkable - but celebrating the harvest should still be a BIG TIME party.......

Still Montmartre is a wonderful place - so your food-and-wine loving self will not be disappointed, I am sure.

Colorado
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What day trips are a must?

My favorites are Chartres and Versailles.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What day trips are a must?

>>> I need a trip to satisfy the wine lover in me, too. <<<

Burgundy, but it is really at least a two day trip and needs a car (or bikes) to do it with any reasonable convenience. And three days or more would be much better...

With only six days I' would agree. Pick one and only one of the many other options for a day-trip out of Paris. Do the wine thing on another trip and give it enough time to do it justice.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What day trips are a must?

>>>>>>I would love to visit a vineyard that will allow tours of the grapes, samplings of the wines, and maybe provides an eatery.<<<<<<<< Then Champagne is the place for you. The great caves all have places in town, so you could visit the cathedral (amazing, my fave in all of France) a cave, or two and have time for lunch.

However, I do agree that for 6 nights you will probably want to keep it to 1 day trip. If that is the case you can satisfy your inner oenophile with a tasting a Lavinia, or O Chateau.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What day trips are a must?

Staying in Paris is just enough.

If you must take a day trip go to Chartres where you can see a different type of town, very walkable and also the beautiful cathedral.

I am not a big fan of Versailles as it is crowded and you can have a feel for chateau life at le Louvre.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What day trips are a must?

cabo_cowboy,

It has to boil down to what your interest(s) are.

If you only have six days:

1. You can easily stay in Paris, so much to experience

2. Chartres in a quick train ride for a 1/2 day trip.

3. You can take a long day trip to the Normandy Beaches

on a bus tour.

4. I think you will find Monet's home crowded in June.

5. I'm not sure why but I have never been a fan of Versailles

after my visit.

If it were me, I would go to Chartres and Normandy.

I hope you will not do "what you're supposed to do"

rather you will do what you "want" to do.

What you don't do this trip you may do the next trip.

You don't know it yet but you will be back !

Best Wishes,

Randy