We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you forget to bring?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
What did you forget to bring?

This is our first trip to Europe, and I was wondering what things you forgot to bring or what things you did not know you would need. Thanks!

Groves,Texas
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you forget to bring?

If you use a curling iron, don't forget your adapter.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you forget to bring?

After my first trip to Paris, I realized the great convenience of having wetnaps (or equivalent) for impromptu picnics. Also, ziploc style bags and duct tape for a myriad of things which you will find out about when you too need them:)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you forget to bring?

Hand Sanitizer!! I don't use it that much when at home (but don't worry!! I do wash my hands! haha), but whenI travel, I find it an invaluable resource. Recently took a trip to New York and forgot mine. Realized as I was stepping of the subway....had to go and buy some!!

Last time I was in Paris I forgot to bring my corkscrew....it's not a traditional corkscrew, but rather one that has a little handle and two prongs, one shorter than the other. No idea what this is called, but it works well and carries easily. I like having it because we usually will buy a bottle of wine to have a picnic or a late-night glass. Forgot mine last time, so we missed out!! :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you forget to bring?

Excellent idea, tcgirlie, just remember not to pack the corkscrew in your carry-on or it will likely be confiscated.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,412 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you forget to bring?

If been meaning to suggest this...a passport organizer. I got mine at LL Bean for about $16.50 and I never travel without it, especially out of the US.

It has a slot for your passport, boarding pass and eticket. Inside there are credit-card slots which can also hold business cards of places you have been to, a zippered compartment which is perfect for paper euros, even a few postcards, and stamps. There are pen holders, too. There is another compartment for a spare digital battery and memory unit.

It is about 8 x 4 inches when folded which it does once, has a snap closure, and a strap which goes around your neck. You can wear it under a coat or vest for safety. I stopped using a wallet when in Paris and use this instead. It has become essential for traveling outside the US.

FWIW this is what I bought...

llbean.com/webapp/…

Pjk

Israel
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you forget to bring?

I didn't actually forget to bring anything, but I had decided to leave my necklaces and bracelets at home since I didn't feel like traveling with jewelry that might attract thieves. Well, it didn't take long for me to feel "naked" in Paris, so I simply "had to" solve that problem and I bought myself a pretty Swarovski necklace, and then 2 days later a Swarovski bracelet so that my poor necklace wouldn't feel lonely.

Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you forget to bring?

After years of "forgetting" something on every trip, I feel I've finally arrived at a point where, minus the proverbial kitchen sink, I've got just about everything that can fit. Here's a list I emailed a friend last year before we left for Paris of things not to forget (in addition to clothes, of course):

Band Aids

Pepto Chewable Tablets

Tylenol/Aspirin

Daytime Cold Medicine

Nighttime Cold Medicine

Lip Baum

Wetnaps

Contact Solution

Glasses Case

Nail Clippers

Hand Sanitizer

Small Pack of Tissues

Sewing Kit

Gloves

Umbrella

Rain Slicker

Scarf

Sunglasses

Camera

Extra Batteries

Memory Cards for your camera

Photo copies of your credit cards you’re taking with you, front and back. or write the numbers down, and the telephone number of the company in case the card is lost or stolen.

Photo copy of your passport, or write all the information down, including number and place of issue

Any items of a “personal” nature

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you forget to bring?

Good heavens ArrowCapet...you learned your girl scout motto well didn't you? :)

over here
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you forget to bring?

don't forget stain remover wipes (i.e. Shout wipes) or one of the Tide-to-go sticks. Aside from not walking around with a stain all day, it might save your clothes until you can get back to the room to rinse them out.

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What did you forget to bring?

I second large ziplock bags - you can never have enough -especially as we now have to pack all liquids and gels. Also, at least one electrical adapter.

Have never 'forgotten' anything too dramatic and can usually find what I need in the pharmacy.