We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

Lots of posts about how to book the Stendahl night train from Paris to Venice but what's it like?!

We have book a double sleeper for March and would be interested in any information, including are the meals in the restaurant car any good.

I've found a few old posts on other forums (yes, they do exist!) from two or three years ago complaning about cleanliness etc so any recent experiences would be a help.

paris, france
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

The food on the train is definitely not great and the sleeping cars pretty old, not to say shabby... altogether not very romantic!

Yes, departing from the very centre of Paris makes the journey very practical without the hassle at airports - and yes, arriving next to the Canale Grande in the morning is a great experience .

However, having recently experienced both train and plane, the latter is for me definitely the best option.

chicago, il
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

Against my travel agent's advice we took the train. Would not recommend it. The facilities were not very good. You will save time, and probably money, by flying.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

If I had the opportunity to fly, I would fly.....but when I took it...(I was in my mid 20's) it made sense..I saved a night at a hotel !!!!!!

and I did not have a bed, I had a chair that simulated a reclining chair but got very horizontal....we bought those little personal wine bottles, cheese and bread ...and alas! we had a great dinner...................what I am trying to say is that it depends on your age and preferences....I do not regret it, but might, and I said might, not do it again.....hope this helps.........

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

We've taken that train both ways between Paris and Venice several times and we love it. It's a throw-back to the days of Pullman coaches so you would have to be the type of people who love the clack-clack of wheel on track. It's not for everybody. There is no dining car, only a petit déjeuner in the morning and sometimes a glass of champagne just after departing Paris.

The trains vary between 1970s and 1990s French cars and 1980s Italian cars. No telling which you'll get till you show up at Gare de Bercy for your departure.

Like I said, there's no dining car so you'll need to pick up your baguette, wine, champagne and foie gras before you leave.

You'll be sleeping on reasonably comfortable, pull-down single bunks that fold up into seats in the morning for breakfast and your arrival in Venice.

There's a single bathroom/shower facility at the end of each car. We've never had any problems on this train regarding cleanliness and we're pretty fussy about that. We never use the shower so we don't know about that but I once got up in the middle of the night to visit the facilities and there was someone throughly cleaning the bathroom for the morning.

One of the upsides has already been mentioned, no hotel bill for the night but the biggest upside is the convenience. You enjoy a calm and unhurried dinner at, let's say, Bercy Village or anywhere along the Metro Line 14 route in Paris, take it to Bercy and then board the train any time up to departure time with no security lines or airport hassle. No two-hour advance check-in and no transport costs to the airport or the really pricey water taxi or water bus to the island from Marco Polo at the Venice end. You simply walk off the train in Venice and you are directly in the center of the city.

As for us, we were spending entirely too much time being "processed" at airports that even short trips within the continent were stressful events that made our stomachs turn. I'd go ahead and try this adventure and don't listen to the "fliers" ;-) You may love it like we do.

East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

metromole - sounds just what we need! The raileurope site and 'the man in seat sixty-one' (a great Web site covering rail journeys - Paris to Venice see http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Venice) both say there is a restaurant car?

Thanks for a positive reply - as you say leave the fliers to their hassles!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

paris-fanatic, there's never been a restaurant car on this train since we started taking it in 1999. It's a night train and people are usually sleepng so it's probably not profitable. I always walk the length of the train before departure looking for one though, just in case...

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

What wonderful info from Metromole about the Artesia night train. This is just what I was looking for. DH and I are on this train on Wed. night 3/28. We got a 1st class 4-couchette. I know that probably means we will have company in the room we're in, but that's okay. Maybe after they hear my husband snore, they'll get up and move. HA! You said sometimes you get champagne?? That would definitely be a bonus. What determines this, I wonder? We do plan to take some wine and snacks along for the ride. Are you served coffee or tea the next morning before arrival in Venice? I was very pleased to hear the facilities were clean, as I did read a few horror stories in some previous posts. Anyway, thanks for all the detailed information. We can't wait!!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

We took the over night train from Paris to Venice 4 years ago. We had a first class sleeper for four. We found it comfortable and clean. They did serve us champagne. Since the car that we were in was fairly empty they left us the bottle. On our train there was a dinning car. But the price was very high so we did not eat there. They did serve us something simple in the morning as well. I really enjoyed the train ride. Watching the scenry go by during the day and then waking up in Italy in the morning!

East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

metromole - thanks again, the restaurant car does seem to exist for some people - as you suggest we'll have a good dinner (or lunch) and take something on the train.

10. Re: Paris to Venice - Overnight Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 16:21