We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport to Paris from Versailles

Which Versailles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rothenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
transport to Paris from Versailles

Hello.

I am travelling through France with a group comprising four adults, one child and one infant. We will be dropping off our hire car in Versailles, staying overnight and visiting the chateau the following day. We then need to travel on to central Paris with our luggage (accommodation in district 1). I am hoping someone will be able to advise me on the best way to do this - train, bus or taxi, and if possible what the cost might be. We can extend our car hire and return it in Paris but are a little reluctant to drive in the city.

Thank you, in advance, if you are able to assist.

Yvette

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

There are 3 train stations at Versailles providing trains into central Paris. Which would be the best depends on where you are leaving from in Versailles and exactly where you are going to in Paris.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 10:30
Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

To further sydneynick's point here is a bit more info. The 3 train stations are Versailles Rive-Droite, Versailles Rive-Gauche and Versailles-Chantiers. Trains from Rive-Droite arrive in Paris at Gare Saint-Lazare and take 34 minutes. Trains from Chantiers arrive at Gare Montparnasse and take between 12 and 25 minutes. The train that departs from Versailles Rive-Gauche is the RER C and it serves all stations on that RER C line, including several in Paris. It takes about 35 minutes to get to central Paris on the RER C. Using any of these trains you'd still have to make a transfer to a métro or RER train in Paris to get close to your hotel in the 1st arrondissement (you didn't give a name and address).

There are three websites you can use to check train schedules and prices and they are www.ratp.fr, www.transilien.com and www.vianavigo.com.

Here is a link to a route planner from the RATP website:

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

Here is an interactive map of the system:

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

If you don't want to deal with luggage on trains then either keep your car and drive into Paris or take a taxi. I really don't know what a taxi would cost you but I imagine somewhere between 40€ and 60€.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

I forgot to mention that each of the trains costs 4.10€ for adults and less for the infant and possibly the child if they are under 10 years of age.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

Ugh. Too late to edit but I wanted to say the fare is 4.10€ from Chantiers and Rive-Droite and 3.35€ from Rive-Gauche. The fare is about half price for kids under 10 and free for kids under 4.

Rothenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

Thank you for your information. It is great to be able to get such precise information. Much appreciated.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

Have a great trip. :)

Easton, Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

Would appreciate your assistance. I will be in Paris between Christmas and New Years. This is my first visit. Your information on getting to Versailles is great. I will be staying at the Pullman Bercy 1RUE de LIBOURNE 75012 Paris France. Can you tell me the closest RERC line that I can use to get to Versailles. Also I was going to buy a Paris Visitors pass but for only 1-3 zones can I add the additional fare to Zone# 5 for the trip?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

Your hotel is close to Cour St-Emilion metro station. From there take Line 14 towards Olympiades. Get off after one stop, at Bibliotheque Mitterand, and change there to RER Line C to Versailles-Chateau.

You need to become familiar with the journey planner at www.ratp.fr

Don't buy a Paris Visite pass, as these are poor value for money. Buy a carnet of 10 ordinary metro/bus tickets and use them as needed for travel in central Paris. Buy separate point-to-point tickets for Versailles.

Edina, Minnesota
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

I have a slightly different question. We will be in Versaille for the day and are considering if we should stay the night there or drive to a hotel at Orly that night. We would have to drive our car to Orly or drop it in Versailles. We need to catch a flight to Italy the next morning at around 11:00. What would be my transporation options and time spent if we drop our car in Versailles? Advise??

Thank you for your help!

10. Re: transport to Paris from Versailles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:19