We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

versailles not paris

Which Versailles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
versailles not paris

hello,

i will be in france accompanying my husband on a business trip. originally i thought we would be in Paris, but now i learned i will be in Versailles.

i have been to Paris before and have taken a trip from Paris to Versailles for a tour. i was planning to take an all day tour from Paris to wine tasting, or perhaps to champagne region but now since i will be in versailles, it will not be so easy to book a tour. can anyone recommend a private tour company that could take me to regions outside of versailles? I am actually closer to the places i wanted to tour, reims, normandy, giverny loire valley etc. in versailles,i already toured the castle and gardens and hall of mirrors. any suggestion are appreciated. i will post on versailles forum as well.

merci beaucoup!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: versailles not paris

Why not just take the RER C into Paris and then pick up the tour you want to join in Paris? Also, you can easily get on a train from Versailles to Chartres and visit the cathedral and old medieval part of town. You can also take a train from Versailles to either Maintenon or Rambouillet and visit the châteaux in each of these places. There are many other day trips you can take from Paris that you can do on your own that don't require an organized tour. Just take the RER C into Paris and go from there. Taking a train from Paris to either Reims or Epernay to do champagne tasting is very easy to do on your own. You can also get to Giverny from Versailles by taking a train from Versailles to Mantes-la-Jolie and then transferring there for the train to Vernon, where you get the shuttle bus to Giverny. But if you want a guided tour they mostly originate in Paris and it is quite easy to take the RER C into Paris from Versailles.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 13:47
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: versailles not paris

thank you for the reply. the only problem i have with taking a train from versailles to paris to catch a tour is that most tours start at 7 am to go outside of Paris. i don't think i can make it on time. however if i can take a train from versailles to some of these places you mentioned that would be fine. i am adventurous and wouldn't mind doing it on my own. the only issue i have with the RER is that it is more of a schedule train to suburbs and you have to buy special tickets, look for the correct track, and they run only certain hours. i did this once in chantilly and got on the wrong train, had to go back to paris, and no one spoke english, i almost missed the last train and wasn't sure i would get my cab to the hotel back in chantilly.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: versailles not paris

are the trains from versailles to giverny metro lines or RER?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: versailles not paris

They are neither RER or métro trains. However, I was just looking at schedules and it would actually be faster to take a train from Versailles Rive-Droite to Gare Saint-Lazare in Paris and take a train from there to Vernon.

For the journey from Versailles Rive-Droite to Gare Saint-Lazare use the website www.transilien.com (enter "paris saint lazare" as your destinaton and select it from the drop down menu). For the journey from Gare Saint-Lazare to Vernon use the website www.capitainetrain.com.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: versailles not paris

The trains between Paris and Chantilly are not RER trains and they are on more limited schedules. RER trains run frequently and the first RER leaving from Versailles Rive-Gauche is normally around 5:25AM (weekdays) and will take about 35 minutes to get to central Paris.

To go to Chartres, Rambouillet or Maintenon you'll depart from Versailles Chantiers. Use the website www;capitainetrain.com for the journey to Chartres or Maintenon. To go to Rambouillet use the website www.transilien.com. If you go to Maintenon to see the château then you'll have to walk about 1.5km from the train station to the château unless there are taxis at the train station.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: versailles not paris

To learn how to get around Paris (and between Paris and Versailles) by métro/bus/RER use www.ratp.fr. Here is a link to a route planner:

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

Here is an interactive map of the system:

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

Since parts of this website are only in French you can also use www.transilien.com or www.vianavigo.com. Via Navigo probably has the most complete English website.

To learn about the various types of transport passes look here:

http://vianavigo.com/en/tickets-and-fares/

A good website to learn how to use public transport in Paris is www.parisbytrain.com. It will likely answer any of your questions about what is the métro, what is the RER, what kinds of tickets you need, how to buy tickets, what kinds of passes are available etc.

If you want to see a list of day trips that are easy to do from Paris have a look at this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…60670372

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: versailles not paris

thank you so much for all of the useful information French Mystique

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: versailles not paris

You're welcome. Come back if you have any questions.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: versailles not paris

i am now reading your thread "day trips from paris" a lot of info to sort thru, but very good, i'm sure i'll be back with some questions.

my predicament is that i will be traveling alone so it is quite different in a foreign country by yourself using public transportation. as i mentioned i tried this once before and took the wrong train from Paris back to the suburbs. it was quite an adventure as i did not have a mobile phone, no euro, and no francais!!! it made a great story though. i relied on a stranger who spoke english to contact my hotel and tell them to wait for me at the train stop.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: versailles not paris

Once you've figured out what specific day trip(s) you might want to do you can ask for assistance with transport for that specific trip. It's really not difficult once you get the hang of it.