We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villa location advice + see Carcassone

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
villa location advice + see Carcassone

Hi all,

We hope to spend a week or 10 days in a villa (I am hoping for a pool and AC, but that may be too much to desire) next end of June or early July.

Situation is complicated (and thus the AC) because my husband has Alzheimer's disease and so a major goal is to keep him comfortable. We will be traveling with our two daughters, their husbands, and our first grandchild who will be almost six months old.

Hope is to be able to enjoy the area, but when necessary, just spend days sitting and playing with the wee one and keeping dh rested.

I am concerned about the weather as I've read it can be hot and dry. Can anyone point us in a direction where the temps would be better but still an easy drive to Carcassone? We don't care about the beach.

Really appreciate your thoughts. Sorry this is so long.

Nancy in StL.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

Southern France is very often hot and dry in late June/early July.

Maybe you should look for a place in Montagne Noire with a small elevation for cool evenings : Saissac, Revel, Lake of Saint-Férréol ..........

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

Hi there,

We stayed here earlier this year and I can definately recommend it. http://www.carcassonne-holidays.com

I can't remember if it has air con but there are balconies that allow the air circulate. There is a lovely safe pool and the owner, Jenny, allows use of a washing machine and tumble dryer. Its in a nice rural village but still only 5-10 minutes drive from the centre of Carcassonne.

There are three apartments and two can be used as either individuals or a single.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

If you don't want it to be hot and dry, then the south of France in the summer is not a good idea. Do you have to be near Carcassonne? As already suggested, you could try to go somewhere in the mountains, like Lacaune, where it will be cooler - sometimes as much as 10 degrees C cooler - but maybe you should go somewhere further north? But it can be hot and dry all over Europe in the summer (even in Blighty...!).

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

Of course, we understand temperatures, but one daughter lives in Edinburgh and wants warm; her father needs help in moderating his temperatures. I was hoping for a cooling location that still allowed us to see some of our desired sites, especially Carcassone.

We've found a villa in Peyriac minervois; thoughts?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

I don't know the area in detail, but from what I can see, Peyriac-Minervois is not in the mountains, or even in the hills, so will not be any cooler than other places nearer to Carcassonne. In an average July, the Minervois area apparently has daily highs of around 30 C (87 F). Obviously some summers and some days will be cooler and others hotter.

It depends on what is too hot for husband and what is warm enough for your daughter, but in your situation I would seriously consider booking a gite in a mountain village which allows you to go to Carcassonne for a day trip or even over night. It will still be hot for your daughter, but possibly less steamy than staying in the middle of the Minervois plain.

Lacaune, the place I mentioned before, may be too far and it has a bit of a micro climate which probably makes it not hot enough for your daughter, but there are other places within 1.5 - 2 hours drive from Carcassonne, which will be a little cooler. Maybe in the hills west of Castre, like La Salvetat de Agout, where it's a bit greener and there's a lake?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

I so appreciate your suggestions. So I started looking in the Tarn area which looks to be higher and more forested. Is this what you were thinking? It looks lovely and we may just have to begin or end our trip with a quick couple of days in Carcassone.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

Sounds like a plan - the mountains in Tarn and Herault are very beautiful and while it will still be hot, it will be a few degrees less and should be a bit more bearable for your husband. Spending a couple of days in Carcassonne sounds like your best bet. Avoid the weekend for your visit there - the time you are going is not quite high season, but it will feel like it during the weekends

8. Re: villa location advice + see Carcassone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:21