We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Languedoc-Roussillon - help needed

Belgrade
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

We are planning a week stay somewhere in Languedoc-Roussillon for August (2 adults, late 30’s).

The ideal is to have our own stone house in the picturesque seaside village, away from the crowds, but with nice sandy beaches, fine sea, to mix with locals, enjoy good local wine, buy fresh fish and vegetables on local market…..

Second best option would be to stay a short drive inland in (you are guessing…) beautiful village with an atmosphere.

I was thinking Collioure or a village I can’t really pick on my own in the area of Pezenas (Fontes,…..). Not sure if I’m on the right track so far, especially considering the sea shore around Pezenas due to the canals, etc., and my concern whether the sea is fine there.

Any opinion and/or recommendation on particular locations, properties, beaches close by would be most appreciated.

Thank you all very much,

Best regards,

Jelena

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

The beach is sandy (mostly backed by dunes) from the Rhone to Spain - around 300 kms - except for Sete, Cap d'Agde and the foothills of the pyrenees where there are cliffs. The Med is generally shallow, calm and warm in August. The lagoons are calmer and warmer - some are brackish and others have regular sea water.

You will be sharing your seaside village (away from the crowds ?) with about 300,000,000 North Europeans who are on holiday at the same time !

A village on the plains sounds better. Somewhere mid way from the mountains to the beach. This would allow you to visit the beach and avoid the traffic problems by driving to the coast early or late.

You haven't said what your interests are, other than I understand you are not looking for night clubs, etc.

It may be worth researching some of these places to get a better idea and then come back with some more precise questions :

Montpellier, regional capital of Languedoc Rousillon, and Herault is an old university town. Medical schools were established during the occupation by the Moors around the 9th century. The Moors, at that time, were the most advanced scientific culture in the Mediterranean basin. Today Montpellier has stunning modern architecture alongside an ancient centre. The tram makes it easy to visit the numerous art galleries and museums.

Nimes, the capital of Gard, was the Nemausus of Roman history. The arena (built AD or BC 0) is still in use. The old city and Maison Carre are worth visiting.

Arles is of interest for its extensive Roman remains and also it's artistic history.

Narbonne, just outside Languedoc, has fine Roman remains.

Mountain areas include Mt Aigoual, Anduze, Florac, Ganges, Gorge du Tarn, Mt

Lozere, Mende, Millau, St Guilhem le Desert, St Hippolyte du Fort, St Enimie, Sauve, Le Vigan,

Coastal towns include Beziers, Bouzigues, Camargue, Canal du Midi, Cap d’Agde, Grande Motte, Grau de Roi & Port Camargue, Maguelone, Marseillan, Meze, Sete.

Historical interest in Aigues Mortes, Beaucaire, Lodeve, Pezenas, Sommieres, Uzes, Pont du Gard, Lunel (inc Ambrussum).

Bonne chance

Peter

Belgrade
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

Dear Peter,

Thanks so much!

Yes, I must have sounded naive when I used "seaside" and "away from the crowds" in the same sentence:)...sorry about that...

I will read carefully what you wrote about the different places, and actually what I'm looking for is about the authentic places (not resorts, aquaparks, etc.), relaxing atmosphere, beautiful sights (not really into plain history or going in every beautiful church, if you know what I mean...), a nice swim in good waters, doing whatever the locals do (going to the market, bucher shop, playing cards in local cafe, bowls, or whatever is done by locals in that region-I'll do some observing, for sure).

I am not an expert (far from that, actually), but I like some of the painters that lived in these parts (for Collioure I know) and developed a strong admiration for Van Gogh, so I would definately go to Arles for a day.

As for night life, since I come from a big city it is not in my focus, but seeing locals play/sing/dance for their own fun would give me a lot of joy.

Inhaling the local is my idea of a perfect vacation...seeing the unspoilt in 21st century...I know:)...- hard work...

Thanks very much again, (and I must start with my French),

Best regards,

Jelena

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

Have a look at Céret - not far from Collioure

http://www.ot-ceret.fr/

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

If you would prefer a small town or village to a city, and if you are happy to consider swimming in lakes rather than the sea, there are lots of options inland around Lodeve, Bedarieux and further West into the Haut Languedoc national park. Lake Salagou and the other lakes int he area, are popular locally for swimming, and while it will be busy in August, it will be nicer than the coast, as the scenery is more attractive and you will be nearer to older towns and villages. Many of the seaside villages in the Languedoc are actually quite modern developments.

Belgrade
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

Thank you so much for great suggestions!

Cheers,

Jelena

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

Have you considered a canal barge? My wife and I spent a week in late May on this http://www.hotelbargealegria.com/ floating down (or up, I'm not sure) the Canal du Midi and it was sensational. The service, food, wine, everything was top-class - it included tours of Carcassone, Narbonne, a winery, local markets, and many other highlights.

connaught
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

The lovely village of Canaules (www.canaules.com) is a lovely place to stay but may be a bit to quiet for you .Its a great place to relax and unwind

Belgrade
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

Thank you all very much!

We already booked a wonderful stone house in Luberon, but a boat trip on Canal du Midi is a great idea for a day trip.

Also, village of Canaules looks fantastic!

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Jelena

9. Re: A week in Languedoc-Roussillon – help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Languedoc-Roussillon