We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

My husband and I plan to visit Languedoc - Roussillon for about a month in Feb- Mar and are looking for recommendations for a place to stay --in terms of both locale and secific suggestions re rental accommodation.

We would like to be in a reasonably large village with sufficient restaurants and shops that we don't have to drive everywhere. (We will have a car.) Nothing too touristy. Would prefer to be near the coast but don't like the look of the many vacation resort areas that seem to predominate there. We plan to do some generalized sight-seeing and wine touring, but mainly just want to relax and enjoy a taste of everyday French life.

We need only 1 bedroom but would like a place that is spacious and well equipped in view of the fact that this will be our home for a month. Any suggestions, particularly based on personal experience would be much appreciated.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

In February/March, nothing will be touristy and there are lots of wineries in the area !

A few suggestions : Montpellier, Aigues-Mortes, Sète, Pezenas, Béziers, Narbonne, Perpignan, Port-Vendres, Collioure ........

I suggest you buy the Michelin Green Guide for the area.

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

How about Carcarsonne - although may be touristy at times there are loads of resturants and I think at that time of year should be ok....

Edited: 16 November 2010, 08:44
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

Much of the coast is a ghost town over the winter.

At this end of the Med coast, Aigues Mortes, Grande Motte, Sete, Marseillan are the more active resorts.

I'd look at Sommieres -

* Working town with year round hotels and restaurants

* Extensive history

* Under 30km to Montpellier, Nimes, Cevennes, Uzes, and Med coast

* Under 3hrs to Paris with TGV

* Under 30 mins to Montpellier & Nimes airports

* 10 kms by fast road to the A9 autoroute

Peter

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

A lot depends on how much you want available with regard to shops/restaurant, as even fairly large villages have a lot closed at that time of year. So maybe a small town would be best. Sommieres would seem to fit the bill, or maybe Uzes; see this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187157-i4313-k401…

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

I agree with most of the above suggestions. I reckon Pezenas would really fit the bill -

- it's a decent sized town - certainly not a viillage nor a city

- lots of places to eat, a market, local shops and several supermarkets

- It's only a few miles to the sea

- it's position in the Languedoc is perfect - very central and near the motorway

- easy access to the amazing mountainous hinterland

As for individual properties, you really need to look at the main rental companies and search for properties in the areas you are interested in.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

I like Pezenas. Attractive old town, good restaurants and shops, good location for exploring the Camargue, the coast and inland wineries.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

Thanks for all the informed suggestions -- I had considered Uzes and Pezenas but Sommieres is new to me. I have visited the area before but further east - Montpellier to Perpignan. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but wanted some place between a very quiet village and a modern city or tourist resort. You have given some me some useful suggestions to focus on.

Thanks

Edited: 17 November 2010, 16:53
France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

Have a look at www.marseillanvillage.com. This company has a number of townhouses to rent. Marseillan is a former fishing village with a lovely port area and is a 5 minute drive to the Med. It's also fairly close to a lot of the villages and towns mentioned by other posters and has lots of restaurants to choose from.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

I agree with ZebFrance - Marseillan seems to fit with your criteria. Lovely port, all year restaurants, all year town, three wine caves, and 5 kms to Marseillan Plage. There are walks on the Canal du Midi, a new large Carrefour supermarket and it is close ot the A9 motorway for exploring and not too far from Pezeans, Montpelllier, Beziers, Narbonne and many other places. There is also a lot of wine accommodation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay/rental Recommendations - Languedoc??

I have looked at the Marseillan site and think I may have found exactly what I am looking for -- atmosphere. food, wine, location, right size, etc. And the mareillanvillage.com looks very promising in terms of accommodation. Thanks to both ZebFrance and NomadicTraveller for pointing me in this direction. My search may be over!