We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

Columbia, California
Level Contributor
204 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

This is my first time to the region. Working in Stuttgart and then taking a week by train through to Barcelona, then a flight home. I realize that is is a short time and I cannot see it all, but it is the only time I have. I wanted my first three-four days in any good town ,as a base, then see a few things in the area. I wanted to use pubilc transport, since I am by myself. I like history, nature, old buildings wineries, small towns, good food. On a moderate budget. Nimes, Sete, Uzes, Montpellier, Avignon all seem great.

If you have any ideas of the best town to use as my base, must see spots, good moderate lodging, restaurants, destinations.

I guess by main question is: Is there any up side to visiting in late January?

P.S. I have been reading many of the great postings.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

Upside is fewer tourists

Downside is reduced opening for attractions and weather.

Weather in January is changeable. Could be 20C sunny ........ or 5C with rain.

You can follow historical weather here : …meteofrance.com/chgt_climat2/climat_france…

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

Pezenas is a lovely small town, but I'm not sure about public transport links. Sete is quite a large town, but has a life beyond tourism, so could be a good option in January - it has good public transport links too.

If you opt for Sete, beware of the restaurants on the main canal - there is a lot of rubbish there. One decent place on the main drag is La Palangrotte and I really like Sel et Poivre - a tiny place out of the way which serves great food.

Montpellier and Nimes are both great, and will also have good transport links to small towns in the region - obviously thess will be more city experiences than the other places you have mentioned. It would be a good idea to search the forums for more info on both cities to help you decide which would suit you better.

Weather-wise, as already said, could be anything, but if the weather in the region is unsettled when you are there, the coastal plain is likely to be better than in the mountains.

It is a shame that you will be solely reliant on public transport, as you will not be able to explore the rural areas and mountains, which are beautiful.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 10:18
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

Local transport in the region can be a bit of trial as buses are often infrequent and many routes don't run at all at weekends.

These pages will be of value to you - French needed!

Regional rail service

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

Buses in Pyrenées - Orientales (Perpignan down to the Spanish border and into the mountains)

www.cg66.fr/252-les-bus-departementaux.htm

Buses in Herault (Sete, Montpellier, Beziers, Pezenas etc)

http://www.herault-transport.fr/

Pezenas has a bus about once an hour to and from Beziers on weekdays and Saturdays, four journeys each way Sundays and Holidays. Route 216.

Buses in the Gard - Nimes, Uzes etc

http://www.edgard-transport.fr/

The larger towns and cities eg Perpignan, Sete, Montpellier have good city transport networks in addition to those above.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 12:25
Columbia, California
Level Contributor
204 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

Thank you for the advise, so far. I realize that I was a little vague and wide open.

I will look into a car for three days in any of those cites or towns with a nice train connection from the north. This will give me the suggested freedom to visit the small towns and historic points.

So...best town to stop and use as a base? Best town/city to get off train and pick up a rental?

Do I need an internatonal license in 2012?

Thanks,

Chris

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

I think Montpellier is a good choice.

It is a working city so less affected by seasons and has accommodation, restaurants, a pedestrianised centre, museums & galleries, miscellaneous attractions, tram system, bus and train hubs, easy access to the A9, A61, A54, and A75 autoroutes. The car hire is close to the main rail station (which also has a tram stop).

Satellite : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=montpellier+france&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.592328,3.962631&spn=0.212601,0.528374&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,135.263672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Montpellier,+H%C3%A9rault,+Languedoc-Roussillon,+France&t=k&z=12

Map : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=montpellier+france&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.836508,3.836975&spn=1.693861,4.22699&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,135.263672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Montpellier,+H%C3%A9rault,+Languedoc-Roussillon,+France&t=m&z=9

Street view : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=montpellier+france&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.608307,3.879147&spn=0.001668,0.004128&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,135.263672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Montpellier,+H%C3%A9rault,+Languedoc-Roussillon,+France&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.608252,3.879037&panoid=G81ykDE5SCAfNCUzL21NWQ&cbp=12,62.94,,0,-4.68

Webcam : www.montpellier.fr/150-webcam-comedie.htm

Sorry for the links. You will need to copy and paste.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 06:31
6. Re: Late January in the Region; first timer. OK time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Languedoc-Roussillon