We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding surprises when I check in

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding surprises when I check in

I live in the US and plan to stay in France for more than 90 days. I just found out I will need to apply for a visitor's visa. Is there anything else I need to plan for before leaving the country in a month?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

You will find life much easier if you have a chip & PIN credit card - preferably Visa.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
781 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

This site would be useful to understand your concerns:

euro-dollar-currency.com/overstaying_schenge…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

I thnk you'll find that it takes more than a month to obtain a long-term stay visa.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 15:16
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

long term visas are not just automatically granted on request; they require extensive financial information and proof of insurance at the level of the national health insurance in France etc etc -- it took us 3 months to do this for Italy a few years ago and we had our passport back only the day before our flight. (part of the Visa process is that they have you passport -- so you cannot travel if the visa doesn't come back in time -- it is affixed to the passport)

you need to be working closely with someone at the French embassy who cares if you succeed at this or not, to pull this off this quickly. (as well as having insurance arranged, adequate financial resources etc.) even though my work insurance covered me internationally, that was not sufficient and I had to take additional insurance on our trip)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

This is helpful and good to know. Thank you. Unfortunately, the earliest appointment I could get is exactly one month prior to my departure. Any suggestions on how I can speed up the process? Thanks again.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

Any suggestions on how I can someone at the French embassy to help me speed up the process?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

You can't speed up the process, it takes time to obtain a long stay visa. Be sure to have all of the required documents in your possession when you show up for the appointment and complete all of the required steps.

Two of the more difficult steps will be to have proof of health insurance or repatriation insurance (typically runs about $2,000 to $2,500 per year) and you must have a residential address where you will be living in France. This second item will require your having a signed contract from a rental agency or proof of ownership of a residence.

If your paperwork is all in order, the process may be completed quickly. You might include a self addressed, prepaid overnight express envelop with your application which can speed up the return of your passport.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

Thank you for the wise and practical suggestions about the process. I am not planning on staying beyond 4 months. I already have housing lined up and I do have health insurance through my employer. All these I can document. But I'm not aware of a "repatriation insurance." I don't think this applies to me. Is that correct?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

Does your health insurance cover you for accidents or illness in Europe and specifically France?

Does your health insurance cover sending you back to Indianapolis should you become so disabled by accident or illness that you need to be evacuated to the US by medical personnel?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding surprises when I check in

Thanks for your specific questions. I'm researching this now. I work for a university and so I know we have international health coverage when we travel. But it is good to know about the extent of my coverage. It would help to know this when I meet with the French consulate. Thanks again for your help.

Get answers to your questions about Languedoc-Roussillon