We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Dublin
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Hi,

My wife & I are planning a fortnight in Languedoc-Rousillon in late June / early July. We'll fly to somewhere near and hire a car. We like good food, nice self-catering / hotel accommodation, walks and scenery.

We'd like a week by the sea in a quiet-ish place (we are thinking of Collioure) and a week inland, maybe in the mountains. Can you recommend a small pleasant town to stay in, inland? All ideas appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Collioure isn't likely to be quiet-ish at the end of June/beginning of July. Inland there are innumerable choices, but you might want to look at Limoux or father north in or around Castelnaudary.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Inland if you want to stay near the Pyrénées you have villages like Villefranche-de-Conflent, Castelnou, Céret, Eus, Mosset, Prades. There are so many. You should have a look at Michelin's Green Guide to have a better idea of the choices you have in that area.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 03:08
Dublin
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Thanks StCirq & planner!

I guess I should have said 'relatively quiet' - or maybe I should have said 'civilised'! I'll take a look at the inland places that you recommend. Looking forward to researching them. Will get the green Michelin once we're sure of our destination.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

I recommend St Chinian for your inland stay. There are some great walks, like Gorges d'Héric, and vineyards in the surrounding countryside.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Collioure will be relatively quiet in late June/early July. School ends on July 5 and the big crowds won't arrive until the end of the following week.

If you want mountains, have a lood at Cerdagne : Mont-Louis, Font-Romeu, Bolquère, Saillagouse, down to Puigcerda and the Spanish border. There are a few very good restaurants in the area.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

Close to the A 75,somewhere near Pézenas,the Herault gorges,the Salagou lake and the Mourèze rock formation ,maybe?

creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/sightseeing…

france-voyage.com/travel-guide/languedoc-rou…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

My favourite inland area would be the Corbières. Not exactly mountains like the Pyrenees, but still really beautiful. And you have the added bonus of the Cathar castles, some really nice villages and good walks.

Also another vote for the Lac du Salagou area, beautiful and many good walks. Most towns are found at the foot of the mountain areas though, but with a car you are free to explore.

8. Re: 2 x 1 week stays in Languedoc-Rousillon: which town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19