We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

Hi All -

I will be meeting my college roommate for a bit under a week in Toulousse in the middle of July. We are ok with renting a car and really just want to find a nice, not touristy "base" to explore the area. Ideally it would be a village that we could stay in for the full time and then just take day trips to various villages - a nice terrace, views etc. Laid back itinerary.

Both of us have been to Provence, the Riviera etc and have no interest in going there again on this trip. We are also not "super crowded beach" people, although a quiet beach might be nice for a day.

We really want some authentic (as much as it gets in July) ideas and places to visit in what I think of as a pretty undiscovered area...

Does anyone out there have any expertise? If so, any itineraries/ideas would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

Castelnaudary, Albi, Villefranche-de-Lauragais,Revel, Puylaurens, Lautrec, Graulhet, Olonzac, Minerve, Castelnau-de-Montmiral, La Salvetat, Cordes-sur-Ciel, St-Antonin-Noble-Val................LOTS to choose from. But do get yourself a guidebook (Michelin Green Guide to any area is always a great bet), so you can figure this out for yourself. Maps, too.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:33
Scarsdale, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

Thank you so much for your response! I have ordered the Michelin guide and will look into renting a car. If you have any ideas on hotels/apartments in the area we are looking into that as well. Ideally we'd like to base ourself in one area and take day trips, but are flexible. Thank you so much!

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

In addition to the locales that St. Circ already mentioned, consider going south from Toulouse through Foix (pretty castle at top of town) to Grotte de Niaux to see some amazing cave painting (and an interesting cave). Although I haven't checked recently to see if they are still allowing trips into the cave. It was the highlight (along with Cathar castle ruins) of my travels from Carcassonne to Toulouse.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

There is a pretty awesome beach at Canet which is not too far. Was not crowded at all when I was there last september, but might be completely different in July...

Don't miss the mountains, though !!! Luz saint sauveur is a good base to explore the Pyrénées (cirque de Gavarnie, pic de tentes, pont d'Espagne, etc...)

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
941 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

St Cirq has come up with some very good suggestions though not necessarily in same traveling order.

I suggest you travel in a big circle and do not base yourself anywhere

I suggest adding the incredible last Cathar stronghold of Montsegur, not far from Puylaurens. You can also drive from Toulouse via Mirepoix which has an excellent market on a Monday in its fabulous square. Perhaps stay there in the Hotel du Commerce your first night.

On the way to Albi you should visit the incredible painted interior of the big church in Lisle-sur-Tarn

Enjoy - there is so much history, culture and scenery to see and experience

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

I'd reserve 2 days for Toulouse itself.

Azille...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

Just north of Carcassonne, Montelieu is a great day visit or base, as it is small but nice views - another day visit in that area is Saissac and lots of smaller villages in the mountains along the way. Minerve was already mentioned but definetly worth a visit and another nearby Cathar ruin is Lastours, a hike up through the hills with 4 separate castle ruins and a view over the valley...

8. Re: What to do with a week starting/ending in Toulousse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Languedoc-Roussillon