We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

We will be staying in the Languedoc region (in Roquessels near Beziers and Pézénas) in July and will be there for Bastille Day. We are a family of 4 with two daughters who are 6 and 8 years old so I would love any recommendation for what we should plan on for the 14th; fireworks? festivals? I;ve read about Carcassonne doing fireworks but that is about 1hour 20 minutes away…would that be too ambitious of a trip? We would definitely go see the town/castle on another day.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Carcassonne fireworks are spectacular and draw huge crowds. If you decide to go, you should plan on getting there in the morning. Past 5 pm there will be nothing but traffic jams on the roads leading to Carcassonne.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

I suppose spending the night in Carcassonne would be recommended, especially with kids in tow ?

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Why not have a look at the tourist office website information for whichever town would be nearest?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

I was going to suggest the same thing that Pamjo did. Tourist Offices generally have lots of details about what is going on around the 14 juillet. I've enjoyed many 14 juillet celebrations in small towns and villages, so unless you're keen for crowds and fireworks, you might want to go somewhere less popular than Carcassonne. But if you do decide on Carcassonne, yes, it might be best to plan an overnight.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I will save Carcassonne for a different day-trip since we don't want to do an overnight. I will check out the tourist site for Beziers and Pézénas to see what info I can find. Is there a seaside town that you would recommend we check out as well? This is our first time to this part of France.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Head for Narbonne, about 40 minutes from Pezenas (34 miles)

The town usually goes all out for Bastille Day and are planning a 4-day outdoor festival this year in the Cours Mirabeau.

10 miles to the east of Narbonne Town is the beach (Narbonne Plage).

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Do some research on Sete.

Normally they have joutes nautiques followed by a candle lit procession followed by fireworks ...

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Check your local tourist offices to see where firework displays (feux d'artifice) are planned in your locality - and what other events are planned. It really doesn't make any sense to travel a significant distance.You may find some places plan the fireworks for the evening of the 13th although that is less likely this year as the 13th falls on a Sunday.

Remember that firework displays are very weather dependent and will almost certainly be called off if a storm is forecast, and I have even seen one cancelled because the Mistral was blowing too hard.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Thanks everyone! I hadn't looked into Narbonne but that sounds perfect! Fireworks aren't an absolute necessity for me..I wasn't sure what kind of celebrations occur for the holiday. I will check out Sete too. I haven't seen too much info on the town. Thanks!!

Azille...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bastille Day Recommendation in the Languedoc region

Carcassonne is definitely worth visiting for the fireworks on the 14th - however, I agree with some of the others, staying overnight in a nearby village would be best and you could explore the castle the next day if you do. There are several small villages within 20-30 minutes that are special near Carcassonne that makes for easy access - you should look at reserving soon as the 14th books up quickly for many reason around this period (tour de france) - enjoy!