We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aigues-Mortes photo report

Which Aigues-Mortes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Aigues-Mortes photo report

I was in Aigues-Mortes for the afternoon last week and I made a photo report which might be useful for anybody planning a trip that passes through the Camargue: www.anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Thanks for the tour. I went to Aigues Mortes a dozen years ago, and enjoyed it. That main street looks the same. And I do remember the side streets being more enjoyable. And I remember feeling a bit trapped on the ramparts too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

What a great tour! You have an eye for the singular and the exquisite. And the patience of Job. I recognize much of your essay but we did not walk the ramparts. The side streets did look quite livable; several layers in and you could almost forget that tourist central was only a couple of hundred meters away.

I think the podded tree may be a catalpa.

Many thanks for this, Ker. You make me wonder why I bother to carry a camera!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Great pictures as usual Kerouac, many thanks. I visited Aigues-Mortes about 5 years ago but in March or April on a day that was as sunny but much less hot. It was also even quieter with a couple of school groups who left just after I got there and only a few other tourists. It is a facinating place, having been maintained rather than restored - personally I rak it higher than La Cite at Carassonne.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Fantastic photos. We were there two weeks ago and of course walked the ramparts, had brochette de taureau for lunch and popped into a traiteur to buy pate de taureau amongst other things plus all he gave us as extras :) We thoroughly enjoyed the town, it had been on my list for 5 years when we just could not fit it in.

Thank you

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

I was in Aigues-Mortes just a few days before you k2. Had I known you were going to be there, I would have stayed. Great photos.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Merci, Kerouac2.

Between you and French_Mystique, I continue to add places for our "next" trip.

MrsJAS

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Lovely memories. I recall buying Provencale fabric for cushions in one shop on the first visit. Last trip we also visited the chapel of the Penitents Grise which was interesting. A bit decayed but the Penitents (a lay organisation) still exist apparently. Lots of ornate plaster work.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/05/encore-provence-par…

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Nice photo report Kerouac !

Brings back lots of memories... I'm not sure I would like to be there in full summer it must be so hot within the walls. Thanks for sharing :-)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

Great pictures! I hope to visit Aigues-Mortes in Oct.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aigues-Mortes photo report

I'm glad to know that real travelers actually do visit Aigues-Mortes. I would be tempted to spend a night there one of these days, because I'm certain that it is quite different once all of the day tourists have left. A night visit of the ramparts would be great, but they close very early -- at 19:00 from May to August and at 17:30 from September to April. Of course 17:30 would be nightfall in January and February, but I'm not sure that walking the ramparts would have the same charm in an icy wind.