We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it?

vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Worth it?

We are going to be visiting France next month and we are staying in St. Remy. We are considering driving to Carcassone and staying for one night. I have been hearing mixed thoughts on whether or not it's worth visiting and would like to know from those of you who have been if you feel it's worth taking the time to travel there. Some have told us it's so touristy that it's not worth visiting.

Any thoughts on this would be most helpful and appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it?

It's certainly worth visiting, but you don't need to stay the night--a day visit from St-Rémy is doable. Carcassonne is a restoration of a fortified medieval town and as such is interesing from a historical standpoint. There's nothing else quite like it, even if it isn't all original.

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne Bed and Breakfast
Carcassonne Bed and...
536 Reviews
Carcassonne Center, France
vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it?

Thanks for your input. We thought we'd stay overnight as I have read that Carcassone is most impressive at night.

Thanks again for your opinion.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it?

I am wondering the same thing Yvr.

What did you end up doing and what's your opnion?

Thanks,

vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it?

Hi Xeena,

We did end up going to Carcassonne and were very glad that we did. We stayed overnight and thoroughly ejoyed our visit. We only visited the walled city and didn't go into the lower city at all. We would recommend taking the time to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne Bed and...
536 Reviews
western
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth it?

yvr14: I'm glad that you decided to enjoy Carcassonne despite the assertion that the walled city is a "restoration", which may have led some to believe that the fortified city is some sort of "re-creation" of a medieval city.

For those who want to do some more research, here's a good web site (in English) which describes what the fortified city went through over the ages...

pagesperso-orange.fr/bbcp/…hist.html

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne Bed and...
536 Reviews
vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth it?

We were actually quite fascinated with Carcassonne. I had been wanting to go there a couple of years ago and was talked out of it. I had seen pictures and a brochure of the walled city that my parents had brought back several years ago and it had really made me want to go there. As I said, we were very glad that we took the time to go and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It is especially enchanting at night.

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne Bed and...
536 Reviews
limerick
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth it?

Hey Yvr14....

Just wondering where did you stay and how much u payed for the night in Carcassonne as i'm heading there in 2 weeks with friends ...we're looking for somewhere central so any recommendations would be of great help...

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne Bed and...
536 Reviews
vancouver
Level Contributor
162 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth it?

Hi Princesspinky,

We stayed at Hotel de la Cite. As we were traveling with friends, one of whom was a travel agent, they were able to get us an agent's rate. We loved the hotel and found it to be very centrally located in the walled city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth it?

Princess,

We stayed at Hotel des Trois Couronnes (hotel-destroiscouronnes.com/lang/en/index.php) - it was in the lower city acroos the river from the Cite - but the view from the balcony was spectacular (see the header on the webpage above or one photo in my profile).

It is not a great walk to the Cite, although uphill, and well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel des Trois Couronnes
Hotel des Trois Couronnes
739 Reviews
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth it?

A restoration is different from a re-creation, as the web site makes abundantly clear.