We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

I would love some help please. I want travel from the airport to Carcassonne on 21 October anytime after 7:00p.m. I am having trouble understanding the rail sites.

Am I able to go directly form the airport or do I have to travel into Paris first? Does RER mean a regional train? What does NZ mean?

Also does anyoneknow if there are left uggage facilities at Carcassonne train station? Is the staton manned 24hrs?

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne
Carcassonne
Aude, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

Hi Shenn,

The TGV station in CDG is called Roissy and is in terminal 2. You can only book online up to 3 months in advance. If you have a look in th Paris forum in Before you go, Arriving and Departing, you'll get info on trains and stations etc. B

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,059 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

Carcasonne is several hundred kilometres from Paris, so it's along journey.

RER is Regional Express Network and these trains link Paris with its suburbs and the airport. You will need the RER trains to get from the airport to Paris city centre and the Gare de Austerlitz.

NZ - I don't know, sorry!

There are two overnight trains from Paris to Carcassonne; these are the details:

Paris Austerlitz Station leave 2156 arrive Carcassonne 0539 Train number 3731 direct no changes

Paris Austerlitz leave 2256 arrive Carcasonne 0805 change of train needed in Toulouse at 0641/0705 Train from Paris is 3751.

As the previous poster said, reservations are essential and these open 90 days before travel. These overnight trains carry a mixture of i1st class sleeping cars, couchette compartments and reclining seats.

You can do this in English at www.tgv-europe.com but the website seems to be down at the moment. I used the French Railways site at www.voyages-sncf.com to look up the details I have given above.

I do not remember seeing a left-luggage facility at Carcassonne.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Carcassonne
Carcassonne
Aude, France
australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense. I was looking at the german train site recommended in TA, apparently NZ stand for night train. So it looks like my first trip to France will be interesting, get onto the RER then make my way into the city, find a connection to Austerlitz then train to Carcassonne - nothing like a challenge! Thank you for your help everyone

Mentioned in this post
Carcassonne
Carcassonne
Aude, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,059 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

Yes - something I shall mark for reference!

NZ = Nachtzug (night train in English)

You learn something every day.

canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

You do not have to go into Paris. There are TGV trains leaving from CDG airport. Some are direct and some require a transfer at Narbonne or Montpellier. Travel time is between 5 and 5 hours. Tickets van be purchased 2 months ahead. Check the TGV website.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

You do not have to go into Paris. There are TGV trains leaving from CDG airport. Some are direct and some require a transfer at Narbonne or Montpellier. Travel time is between 5 and 6 hours. Tickets can be purchased 2 months ahead. Check the TGV website.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
7. Re: Confused!! Charles de Gaulle airport to Carcassonne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 07:20