We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

Glasgow
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

Looking for reasonably priced, reliable car hire. Picking up from Carcassonne Airport late Aug/early Sept. We're not looking for anything fancy - there's just 2 of us but air con would be appreciated ;-) We may also want to drive down to Barcelona.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Jo

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

If you are resident outside Europe, you can use a consolidator and get a price. These people offset one operator against another and offer you the cheapest deal. Check out http://www.autoeurope.com and others.

For local stuff, I'd always use banger rental, but it isn't available at Carcassonne.

I would book Hertz, and :

*Always remember the guy on the desk gets commission for upselling - do you need auto, gps, child seats, 2nd driver, CDW, etc

*book it through the Ryanair website

*insert a Ryanair flight number even if you are not flying Ryanair !

*choose the cheapest car they list (they often don't have any and give a free upgrade)

*Check the car very carefully for visible damage v the sheet you have presigned

*I know it is a pain, but go back to the desk and get them to initial damage not noted on the sheet

*If you need the car for more than a few days consider an annual excess insurance : www.insurance4carhire.com/thelanguedocpage

*Always try to return the car, get it checked over and an invoice issued before checking in for your flight

There is no extra charge to go to Spain with Hertz.

Peter

Edited: 25 June 2010, 21:07
Devon UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

wherever i go I always use wwweconomycarrentals. they are cheap and there are no hidden extras. the bad news is they are usually off-site, so you have to wait for the car to be delivered to airport but an extra driver is incvluded in the price and they are usually reliable.

dj

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

Hi, agree with Peter, I always use Hertz, via the airline website. They can't be beaten on price in my experience.

B

Glasgow
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

Thanks for your responses mpprh, doomdoom & bikies_tour. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Best wishes,

Jo

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

We had significant problems with Europcar in Carcassonne, having ended up with them via HolidayAutos.com. I think the problems might lie in its status as just an agent with little access to main company facilities.

The back part of passenger seat lost its ability to stay in one place which meant its occupant had a choice of lying horizontal or perched up with no back support both of which aren't safe. Europcar said call ADAC who called back to say they didn't cover issues that left the car perfectly driveable. Europcar said they should and we were left playing ping pong between the organisations. I suspect a Citreon garage could have fixed it in 10 minutes but Europcar wouldn't authorise us to do that and couldn't offer an alternative vehicle of any kind because of their small size.

After a lot of badgering, the best I got was a grudging agreement to let me drive the car to Toulouse airport and swap it for an identical car there. They really didn't seem bothered at all.

I think it's the price of cheapness basically. We were not alone in being at the rental office trying to get problems/complaints sorted out. If everything goes fine, they're not a problem but consolidation agents like Holidayautos just give you the cheapest care hire at any location.

Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

Just warn to warn to be careful with Easycar.

I normally use Hertz and have never had problems.

Last year, Hertz hadn't got the car class we wanted so we chose easycar.

They included extra driver free.

When we picked up the car, I asked to have my wife added as driver.

They (Alamo) told us that they charge about € 30 for the extra driver. I showed the agent by booking. He agreed extra driver was free.

Complained about easycar communication problems. "They are always doing that". he said.

So off we went, thinking the charge was waived. My wife never drove but at least we had it, in case!

When I came back they charged € 30 for the extra driver.

I phoned and emailed. It took about 3 months to get a refund.

I got so much mis-information from Easycar. - not their problem, our contract was with Alamo, they were having communication issues with Alamo, only a certain alamo manager could authorise the refund etc. All this, despite the confirmation clearly showing extra driver free.

I know it was only € 30 but they have the worst attitude to customers.

I will never use them again and just want to warn others.

7. Re: Car Hire recommendations required - Carcassonne Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 05:17