We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay inside or outside the city walls?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Stay inside or outside the city walls?

I'm planning a 3-day stay in Carcassonne sometime next Autumn. I'd like to take my time and walk around the old city in the evening, but would also appreciate easy access to my rental car. What are the pros and cons of staying inside or outside the city walls please?

TIA!

1. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 December 2015, 09:20
ezs
Manalapan, NJ
Level Contributor
298 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

In 2005, we stayed at the Best Western Donjon Hotel within the walls. The hotel was quite nice and affordable, and we all felt that there was something magical about being in the Cite after all the day tourists had left. I remember that I got up early and took a walk around the deserted streets. It was a special experience.

Have a great trip,

Eve

Carcassonne, France
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

Depending on how late you plan to stay in the Autumn there is probably a wider variety of shops, restaurants and places of interest to see if you stayed in the Bastide Saint Louis (known as the 'New Town') . From there the walk up to La Cité is relatively easy. Enjoy your trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated. What are the recommended vineyards in the vicinity that will take visitors?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

We stayed at the Hotel Montmorency, back in 2003. I just checked the reviews and they still seem fine, so it may still be okay. It was a simple but pleasant and inexpensive motel-style hotel, with nicely decorated rooms...but what made it special was that it was in a spectacular location, just steps outside the gates of the old city. The breakfast area and the lawn where our children played had a spectacular view of the city walls, just a few feet away. It was amazing to sit on the terrace and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening, while looking the the beautifully lit medieval walls.

Oh, and they have a parking lot.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 03:29
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

Looks like I found my own answer. Here's a useful site --> http://www.carcassonne-tourisme.com/

And some suggested itineraries --> http://www.carcassonne-tourisme.com/carcassonne2.nsf/vuetitre/dochuitcircuit/$file/Huitcircuits-EN-2011.pdf

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

We stayed at the Hotel Montmorency in May of this year. It offered a good balance between location and price, and has secure parking. The view of the walls from the outside is beautiful.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
158 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

We stayed at the lovely hotel Du Chateau right across from the castle...it is literally yards from the entrance. But, it seems like it is in a different town. You cannot see any of the thousands of tourists because of the greenery and the way the hotel sits. The view in phenomenal from the outdoor patio where you can have breakfast or a drink in the bar.....although it is fairly expensive we loved the rooms., small,but very high tech and a wonderful mattress. This hotel has it's own parking lot and spa. We stayed in room 1....very nice.Keep in mind that there are 2dogs that belong to the owners and they roam around and play so if you are not into dogs...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

Now having read and understood a little more about the city, I have gone and booked just outside the walls at a B&B Demeure Saint Louis. Looks pretty charming and reasonably well reviewed, with free parking. Will be a while before I travel, will update.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay inside or outside the city walls?

I am now back from travel to Carcassonne. I stayed at the Chambres d'hôtes Les Palmiers de la Cité, which is a nice little property about a 10 minute walk from the city walls. The pros of staying outside the walls are that you are likely to have a better choice of affordable accommodations, and you can drive your car to the hotel. The cons are that you do have to take that walk uphill into the city, and downhill after, sometimes after dinner and wine! The better option in my view, would still be to stay nearby, but outside. Les Palmiers, by the way, is a good choice.