We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

New Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

I am traveling to Carcassonne for 3 days and I am wondering if there is any advantage to buying entry ticket ahead of time for museums, castles, etc. or if that's even possible. Also, I would like to see surrounding villages, etc. and wonder about bus service or tours you might recommend.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

The Tourist Office sells a City Pass for €16 which includes a guided visit of the Cité, a mini-cruise on the Canal, etc : tourisme-carcassonne.fr/pratique/city-pass

Bus service and tours : tourisme-carcassonne.fr/pratique/…en-bus

You can take the €1 train from Carcassonne to Limoux and Quillan.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

Do you have any more info on 1 euro train trips as I am going to Carcassonne at the end of October with my family for 4 nights and would like to take a short train trip at a reasonable price. The SNCF website prices at 45 euro to Limoux. Any info would be much appreciated

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

Here we go

trains-horaires.com/actus/…376-le-ter-1-euro

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

nigelfi

You are mistaken with the train fare between Carcassonne and Limoux. It is (standard fare) €5.60. But much of the 'train' service is actually operated by bus, especially at weekends.

I can find no recent mention of the €1 trains on that line. There is nothing about it on the current Limoux line timetable leaflet nor on other local websites.

€1 is also the standard fare on the regional bus network.

http://audelignes.cg11.fr/ for routes and times.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

Cubsur : the €1 ticket is not shown on the SNCF site and cannot be ordered in advance.. It can only be purchased at Carcassonne, Limoux or Quillan station, from the conductor in the train or from the driver in the bus (when the train is replaced by a bus.

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

Thank you all for your input. This has really helped me plan my trip.

7. Re: Entry fees into castles, and getting around to nearby towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:16