We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpelier, France in April 2009

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Montpelier, France in April 2009

Hi all, Hoping one of your experts will be able to help me plan a trip to the Montpelier region in France in April 2009. I have a few questions...

1.We are coming from Ireland and understand that there are no direct flights so wondering is the best option to fly to London or elsewhere and then into Montpelier airport or else just fly straight into Paris or someplace else in France and get the train down??

2. Am going there for a World Cup pitch and putt competition and so really only need to be in Montpelier for three or four days. What or where to go for the rest of the time (3/4 days)? Would love to see Nice/Cannes/Marseilles even Monte Carlo...are any or all of these possible?

3. Thinking of staying in the Novotel in Montpelier..any views??

4. There will be four of us travelling and would prefer to avoid driving if we could...not used to the right hand drive and had many a near miss in Sardinia last year so best to avoid it!!!

Cheers guys, you haven't let me down in the past so look forward to some comments.

C

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

The center of Montpelier is open to foot traffic only, no cars. I recommend a hotel near the city center.

The train station is also near the town center so you could easily visit Nimes, Avignon to the east or Sete to the west. There is bus service to the beach towns of Carnon, Palavas-les-Flots, or Le Grau du Roi even though April is not really beach weather.

Getting to Nice or Cannes is possible by train but it is a long way. Plan on 4-5 hours to Nice. Marseille is a great deal closer but I recommend you first visit Nimes and Avignon.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

The quickest and most conveninet is take a direct flight from Dublin to Lyon, and then take a TGV to Montpellier, it is a 2 hours train ride only.

As you are a party of four, I suggest that you rent a car for the 2 or 3 days you will explore the region (come one one among you will ba able to drive...). Montpellier deserves a whole day, it is a beautiful town. Use Michelin to check distances and itineraries: http://www.viamichelin.com

Nice is too far away from Montpellier (332 km -and Monte Carlo is 350-) for a day trip, whereas there are lovely places to visit nearby, such as Sète, Aigues-Mortes, Arles, Nîmes, Pont du Gard, Avignon, etc (just google these names, you will find loads of infos).

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Hi

I live nearby. Firstly April is a bit of a question mark weather wise - and this does impact what you will be able to do. Expect 15C - 20C max but could be 30C ! A north wind off the still snowbound hills to the north can produce drops in temperatures. April is a medium month for rain. Rain is generally in the form of overnight storms - we very rarely get the drizzly days "enjoyed" by UK, etc.

Easiest travel options :

Ryanair Cork/Dublin/Shannon to Carcassonne then train or car

Ryanair Dublin to Marseille then train or car

Ryanair Dublin/Shannon to Girona then rent a car (cheaper car rent & fuel in spain - Girona is under 2 hrs drive from Montpellier. note that cross border train service is still slow)

If you want a long one or two day trip from Montpellier - Barcelona (2.5 hrs by car) is much closer than Cannes / Nice. Neither have a fast train service today.

In fact basing yourself in Montpellier gives you plenty to do without spending a lot of time on trains / autoroute. Google Aix en Provence, Andorra, Arles, Avignon, Banyuls, Barcelona, Les Calanques, Carcasonne, Ceret, Cevennes, Collioure, Figueras (Dali museum), Girona, Gorge d’Ardeche, Larzac, Les Baux de Provence, Marseille, Martigues, Millau, Mont Ventoux, Narbonne, Orange, Perpignan, Pezenas, Sete, Tautavel, Toulon, as reasonably nearby places to visit. (Also check - mountains : Mt Aigoual, Anduze, Florac, Ganges, Gorge du Tarn, Mt Lozere, Mende, Millau, St Guilhem le Desert, St Hippolyte du Fort, St Enimie, Sauve, Le Vigan ; history : Aigues Mortes, Beaucaire, Lodeve, Pezenas, Sommieres, Uzes, Pont du Gard, Lunel (inc Ambrussum) ; coast : Beziers, Bouzigues, Camargue, Canal du Midi, Cap d’Agde, Grande Motte, Grau de Roi & Port Camargue, Maguelone, Marseillan, Meze, Sete ). Most are easier by car, and the A9/A61/75/A8 road system is fast (April is quiet and normally dry, too).

The hotel choice is governed by the road system. The centre is largely pedestrianised, with little (and expensive) parking. Many central hotels have no parking, so :

1)If you rent a car, stay on the outskirts near a tram stop

2)Without a car, go for the central area - Hotel du Midi is good

Novotel is rather isolated - and would probably mean using a car or taxi to get around Montpellier.

http://www.the-languedoc-page.com is a local website with 3000+ pages of info.

Bonne chance

Peter

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

"only lyon" suggests using the Aer Lingus Dublin-Lyon direct flight (All other options require a change).

I would suggest you check frequency, prices, times and departure airports compared to the Ryanair flights listed above.

Peter

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

I suggest Aer Lingus flight because it is a direct flight and because it is cheap, since you book in advance (I paid 84€ for one way and return).

Ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Thanks so much for all your help. You've all given me so many ideas to check out. Will get cracking on that but no doubt will be back on looking for more info closer to our departure.

Thanks again

C

London
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Another transport option would be Dublin to Gatwick then Gatwick to Montpellier with Easyjet - they started flying there this year so may be worth a try. If you aren't going over Easter it's off peak and flights shouldn't be too expensive.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Peter,

We are planning a home exchange with a French family, and currently, there are 2 families who are interested--one family lives in Vendargues, between Montpellier and Nimes. The other family is in Badarrides, closer to Avignon.

We are from Bethesda, MD, right outside of Washington, DC, and are planning our August vacation now because we want to use miles to make our plan reservations.

I'm trying to get a sense of these 2 destinations vis-a-vis other places to visit in Provence, and your email above was most helpful, since I know that Vendargues is between Nimes and Montpellier. We're leaning towards the exchange w/this family because they have a pool, which would be very nice in August, and also AC, which we would very much like--we hate to sweat at night!

Any feedback from you about these 2 villages/areas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Barbara

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Not sure about the Avignon location (except that side of the Rhone is "Provence" and therefore more expensive !) but here are some notes about Vendargues :

Vendargues is seen as a desirable residential area for people working in Montpellier.

It is close to the N terminus of Montpellier tram line 2, as well as the Cevennes hills and the beach resorts.

It is close to the A9 coastal autoroute, which (via A54 and A8) is the main road linking Italy to Spain.

Local places to visit :

Montpellier, regional capital of Languedoc Rousillon, and Herault is an old university town. Medical schools were established during the occupation by the Moors around the 9th century. The Moors, at that time, were the most advanced scientific culture in the Mediterranean basin. Today Montpellier has stunning modern architecture alongside an ancient centre. The tram makes it easy to visit the numerous art galleries and museums.

Nimes, the capital of Gard, was the Nemausus of Roman history. The arena (built AD or BC 0) is still in use. The old city and Maison Carre are worth visiting.

Arles is of interest for its extensive Roman remains and also it's artistic history.

Narbonne, just outside Languedoc, has fine Roman remains.

Mountain areas include Mt Aigoual, Anduze, Florac, Ganges, Gorge du Tarn, Mt Lozere, Mende, Millau, St Guilhem le Desert, St Hippolyte du Fort, St Enimie, Sauve, Le Vigan,

Coastal towns include Beziers, Bouzigues, Camargue, Canal du Midi, Cap d’Agde, Grande Motte, Grau de Roi & Port Camargue, Maguelone, Marseillan, Meze, Sete.

Historical interest in Aigues Mortes, Beaucaire, Lodeve, Pezenas, Sommieres, Uzes, Pont du Gard, Lunel (inc Ambrussum).

There are many other towns, outside Languedoc, but within reach and worth visiting. The majority of these can be reached by car within less than 2 hours, but Barcelona is just under 3 hours from Montpellier. A small selection -Aix en Provence, Andorra, Avignon, Banyuls, Barcelona, Les Calanques, Carcasonne, Ceret, Collioure, Figueras (Dali museum), Girona, Gorge d’Ardeche, Larzac, Les Baux de Provence, Marseille, Martigues, Mont Ventoux, Orange, Perpignan, Tautavel, Toulon.

More information on this area : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/tourism

Peter

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montpelier, France in April 2009

Dear Mpprh,

Thank you so much for your helpful information about Montpellier. I always thought it was in Provence, but now realize it's in Rousillon Langue d'Oc. We'll be between the 2 provinces, which will be great.

Barbara