We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food markets in Montpellier

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
5 posts
Save Topic
Food markets in Montpellier

Hi All,

I am planning to spend a couple of months in Montpellier around Oct-Nov 2009. I've been to this beautiful city once before, but don't know it well and would very much appreciate your help.

During my stay in Montpellier I shoped in supermarkets and the choice of fresh food was so poor that I assumed that French people bought their food elsewhere. So I decided that for my next visit I'll find out where :)

So, the main question: where are the farmers' markets? What are the differences between them, which ones have most choice, which ones are the closest to the town center or are easy to reach by public transport?

If someone can actually suggest 2-3 central markets - please provide me with the address so that I can look it up on the map.

Thank you!

T

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food markets in Montpellier

Hi, There's a food market in Montpellier on Esplanade Charles de Gaulle, near Comedie. Its most mornings, I think. Also all the out-lying towns have market days, once/twice weekly, where local produce is sold.

Peter, local Expert, will probably confirm the market days in Montpellier for you. B

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,847 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food markets in Montpellier

The best central markets are Halles Castellane on rue de la Loge and Laissac, place Laissac.

There are open daily from 7h30 until 13h00.

Also of possible interest is the Sunday morning market at La Paillade on the city's west side.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food markets in Montpellier

Article about Montpellier markets : the-languedoc-page.com/articles/languedoc-ar…

Info on other markets in the area : the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/languedoc-mar…

Peter

England
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food markets in Montpellier

Thank you so much everyone! All the info is very useful.

Special thanks to Peter for the links!

T

5. Re: Food markets in Montpellier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 20:19