We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice vs Montpellier

Simpsonville,SC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice vs Montpellier

I will be travel to south of France from Paris (Train) on my way to Barcelona (Air) and stay 2 or 3 days. Which will better Nice or Montpellier? Thanks.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

You say nothing about yourself, your interests or what kind of cities you like, so it is impossible for anyone to say which will be best for you.

But if you are heading off to Barcelona afterwards, Montpellier makes more sense geographically.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,461 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

Indeed. Nice is an 10 hour train ride from Barcelona, or another flight.

Nothing wrong with Montpellier, nice town and only 4 hours from Barca by train.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

Nice is a bustling coastal city (part of a 5m conurbation) with all that brings in terms of pollution, congestion, etc. There are many attractions. There are large numbers of retired Parisians living in apartment blocks.

Montpellier is 8km from the coast and part of a 0.5m conurbation with a pedestrianised centre. It is the capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region and has a wide choice of galleries and museums. Montpellier has 80,000 students and a vibrancy not found in Nice.

More :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpellier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice

Edited: 06 September 2011, 07:53
Toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

I have been to both places and I find Nice is too commercialize but if shopping and busy you want then Nice is the place. I prefer Montpellier, a beautiful city alternative to Paris living and very walkable so no need for car. That said, two trams will serve your local travel needs but if you need to head to the beach then there are buses.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

I have enjoyed visiting Montpellier its' a pleasant city and i expect to go back there in the near-ish future to see an exhibition , but to me it seemed more like a city than Nice does.

It is handier for Spain by train than Nice but Nice is just as handy for Barcelona if you intend to fly

From a quick look at kayak.fr it appears that flights from Nice are considerably cheaper than flights from Montpellier - at least on the several random dates i picked

Both Montpellier and Nice have certain similarities to paris

Nice is also very walkable and absolutely no need for a car.

Nice also has brilliant and very cheap transport links along the coast and into the mountains .

The bus journey from Nice to mountains 1.5 or 2 hours by bus = 1 euro

It is also very easy to visit Monaco or Italy for a day trip

There are lots of museums and galleries in Nice [almost all are free entry] in Nice and a wide selection along the coast -this area is especially good if you like art due to the number of artists atelier museums

Nice also has fabulous views, natural parks ,and the sea

Sete, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

Montpellier is on your way to Barcelona so much more convenient. Take the train for a day's outing to Sète which is the "Venice" of France bordered by canals on one side and Mediterranean on the other. Abundant fresh seafood (oyster farms) and excellent regional wines.

7. Re: Nice vs Montpellier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:24