We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpellier or Pezenas?

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
454 posts
347 reviews
Save Topic
Montpellier or Pezenas?

My husband and I have an apartment booked for 7 nights in Pezenas the second week in September. I was just wondering if this is the best place to stay as we will not have a car.

We have stayed in Nimes previously and loved it. I am concerned that Pezenas may be a bit quite and more expensive to eat and drink and it has a captive audience.

We enjoy food markets, local bars, trying local wines and eating well priced good local food.

We also like to visit the coast when we are away and I am wondering if it would be better to stay in Montpellier in order to take advantage of better transport links.

Ultimately we want a good variety of local produce, easy to get around, well priced option for dining and drinking.

I would be interested in comments about suggestions of where to stay. We have visited Grau du Roi and loved it, but not sure if I want to stay there for a whole week.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpellier or Pezenas?

We stayed in Pezenas for a week about 5 years ago at a self-catering place.

Pezenas is a pleasant place and staying there for a week would be fine IMO for people who like to spend a lot of time just relaxing or enjoying a pool. But for us a week was too much, and in retrospect we should have split our time staying there and somewhere else. Since we had a car we went on several longish day trips.

Given that you will not even have a car, I suggest you stay in Montpellier.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpellier or Pezenas?

Although I like Pezenas a lot, it is relatively small and while restaurants will generally be cheaper there than in Montpellier, a week would be a bit of overkill - specially without a car. From what you've said, I'd go for Montpellier, or possibly Sète.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpellier or Pezenas?

Montpellier is one of my favorite places in France. Pezenas is fine, but I'd always rather be in Montpellier. The transportation connections are better, and there's more to see and do. I like the idea of Sète as well, but I'd choose Montpellier.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
454 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montpellier or Pezenas?

Thanks for all your replies - I think you have confirmed my reservations I had and we are now going to stay in Montpellier.

5. Re: Montpellier or Pezenas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16