We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

I do have a few guide books but I'm having a hard time grasping Languedoc. I'm familiar with Provence and the riviera.

What are the seaside towns to visit from Montpelier or stay for a few nights? Colliure looks great but anything closer?

We don't mind "touristy" but prefer old, charming and quaint. No golf courses, resorts or water parks. Something like cassis in Provence or Villefranche on the riviera. ? Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,975 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

I have never been to Villefranche or Cassis, but taking it from other posts there is nothing comparable in the LR. Most of the seaside is purpose built holiday accomodation with little or no charm. There are a few exceptions like Collioure, Gruissan, Marseillan. And also some smaller lakeside/slightly inland villages like Bages, Peyriac de Mer, Leucate. Closer to Montpellier you have in the Camargue with Aigues Mortes , Saintes Maries de la Mer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

That is the feeling i was getting. The guidebook reccomend sete and meze but I can't tell if they have old towns. I 'll check the ones you list.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,975 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

Sète is a working port, the town has a certain charm but is a little rough at the edges. Mèze is a little village on the étang de Thau. I would recommend Marseillan (also on the étang de Thau, but closer to the med and larger than Mèze) over those.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

Check out Marseillan - it has a lovely port on the Etang but it still is a year round working town with a nice old centre. It also has a couple of good wineries and a lot of fair restaurants. I do not think that you would be disappointed outside the July-August peak.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

Thanks.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

Look at Bouzigues and Grau de Roi, too.

Aigues Mortes is not quite on the coast but is a walled medieval town.

7. Re: Coastal village with "Old Town" and beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19