We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

My sister and I will travel to Provence by train from Paris on May 13 and return to Paris by train on 16th in order to fly out of CDG on May 17th at about 1 p.m.

We'd like to attend one of the bloodless bullfights while in Provence.http://www.tourisme.ville-arles.fr/us/a7/a7b.htm I've found this schedule at http://www.ffcc.info/calendrier.php3

I emailed for information and the most highly-recommended fight is in Nimes on the 16th at 4 p.m. See www.ffcc.info/detail.php3… Apparently it lasts about two hours. Assuming it starts on time....

I'm trying to figure out if a 4 p.m. bullfight is doable? We would still need to turn in rental car and catch the train to Paris in time to get a room in Paris that night (we could make a reservation in Paris to make sure we have a room waiting for us).

Here are the train times: raileurope.com/us/…

Anybody have any advice?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

OK. Most of the information is the same as I gave when you posted in the Arles forum, but the trains run a bit later. There are trains leaving Nimes at 18.51 or 19.50, arriving at Gare deLyon at 21.49 and 22.41. No change of train required.

It looks like the only problem might be the closing time of your car rental office.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

General info on Course Camarguaise : the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/languedoc-cam… and village bull fetes : the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/languedoc-tou…

Why not hand in the rental car first ?

It is a short walk from the arenes to the station, and direct trains take around 3 hours. Work on the basis of being at the station waiting for a train at 19.00 - does that allow you enough time ?

Peter

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

I was hoping someone local to Nimes or with experience catching trains in Nimes could tell me if I had enough time. I don't know what sorts of challenges could require more time, thrown me off schedule.

Do the fights normally start on time?

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

Nothing starts on time in Languedoc, except most trains.

Does that help ?

There is an obvious risk, and you have to take it based on the answers you have received.

Peter

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

It seems to me that what is important is not when the show starts but at what time you leave for the train station. It's about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the arena.

Summer bull fighting is usually a team sport and while it is interesting to watch, unless you really have a personal interest in the teams you will not absolutely need to stay until the end.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

"nothing starts on time..."

How late is "not on time."? 15 minutes late or two hours late?

I'd hate for us to hang around for this with the idea that we must leave by six only to have the fight not start until 5:30 or later.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

Am trying to figure out the whole logistics things. Seems Eurocar would let me pick up a car at the Train station in Avignon and drop it at the train station in Nimes, the other rental car company web sites return errors messages when I try to drop in Nimes. Or they seem to want to make me drop at the Nimes airport.

The idea of dropping off the car before the fight sounds good until I consider luggage; I don't want to have to deal with luggage at the bullfights. If we could leave our luggage (hidden in the trunk of the car) and not have to actually surrender the car & keys until after the fight, that's better. The web site is saying this is an "after hours" drop off (with the rental car office closed on Sunday) so it seems like we could take the car, park it, do the fight, and then return and get our luggage after the fight.

Have even considered spending the night in Provence and taking an extremely early train straight to CDG, but we aren't early morning people and that leaves no time for any problems that might come up the next morning. I'd be very nervous about that.

Maine
Level Contributor
741 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

Hi, on vacations that originate in Paris with short train trips to Provence or some place, we leave almost all of our luggage at the hotel in a locked room and take one back pack each with us. On returning. we spend one last nite in the same hotel and head to Charles deGaulle in the am. You can carry the back pack with you when you drop the car as they usually close at 6pm, and walk to the arena. The trains do leave right on schedule as has been said. And it is recommended that you are there 30 minutes before a TGV to allow you time to be at the right place and be standing on the quai waiting for it. There were other villages listed to see this sport, but it wouldnt be the same as inside the Nimes Arena. It would cost you probably 7 eurosto tour the arena anyway, and this costs 11 euro. You can stay for a while but take enough time to arrive at the station in plenty of time. Sounds cool! We were headed to Provence on 4/18 but it was all cancelled it due to the volcano.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

We've decided to spend Sunday night in Provence and take the first train on Monday instead. So, we can enjoy the whole program.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we have enough time to catch bullfight and train?

Make sure you are at the check-in counter (not stepping off the train) three hours before your departure from CDG.

That makes a blindingly early train.